CD-Writing problems in Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikenk

Baseband Member
Hello everyone,

I have an annoying problem with Windows' native cd-burning. It always fails on the first attempt, claiming that there's "no writable CD in the drive". I always have to go into the the CD Drive properties and disable then re-enable the "enable CD-Writing" feature.

This happens even though Windows XP recognizes my CD-Writer as a recording device and cd recording is enabled by default. I have to disable cd-writing, then re-enable it. That trick works almost all the time.

I've un-installed and re-installed the CD-Burner through the Device Manager a couple of times, updated the CD burner's driver, and updated the firmware. Once upon a time, I had Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 with DirectCD installed on my system. I removed it long ago. Still though, I went through the Windows registry and removed all references to "Roxio", "Easy CD", and "Direct CD", but the problem still persists.

Is there a known Windows bug with Windows' native CD-Burning?

Here are some relevant Specs:

Pentium IV 1.8Ghz
768MB RAM
Windows XP SP2
Yamaha CRW-F1 (first bay)
Compaq DVD-ROM (secondary bay)

As I'm writing this, I am now wondering if the CD-Burner and DVD-ROM should share the same cable. Could that be an issue?

Thanks for any replies or suggestions. I can get around this problem, but it sure is annoying and I'd like to fix it.

Viken K.

you never should have put roxio 5 on a xp computer. it had too many problems like stealing dll's and crashing your computer

direct cd is the problem behind it. he need to reinstall windows. Roxio has a class action lawsuit against them a few years ago, because of problems like this

Tyler1989 said:
Hold on can't a simple recovery console/repair fix this?

Back when roxio were having those issues with XP (this was the XP first came out) 1 out of 100 people maybe had success fixing their computer without a format. the lucky people just had a messed up OS. the unlucky ones had the BSOD. when you uninstall roxio, it would take dll and critcial files with it. so you most likely had to format

this was a time when most people didn't know how to reinstall windows . XP made installation an easy process. actually win 2000 and ME made it an easy process with the booting from cd feature , But people were so use to DOS, floppies and fdisc, that they didn't noticed. we know that now. back then people were taking their computer to the shop for repairs when things went wrong.

since the begining of windows, roxio were always the number one selling CD burning software because of their ease of use. they lost that status when they couldn't make software compatible with xp.

they eventually fix that problem with roxio easey cd creator 6, but too many people were turn off of the product by then

So I guess that formatting and reinstalling is my only real option? Is there a way to re-install the screwed up DLL's? How would I know which one's to re-install?

Viken K.

vikenk said:
So I guess that formatting and reinstalling is my only real option? Is there a way to re-install the screwed up DLL's? How would I know which one's to re-install?

Viken K.

that the problem that people face when dealing with roxio 5. they didn't know what roxio took with it. you can try to do a repair with the windows cd, but I would back up all my data to another hard drive, dvd or cd, then reinstall windows

the funny thing about it was, if you didn't install the direct cd part, you usually didn't have problems with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom