Cd Rom Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

potatomasher

Beta member
I need help with this!

Recently I noticed my laptop to be booting very slow. Then I found out that my CD ROM is not working. Tried to boot my laptop without the CD ROM and it boots ok. Tried to put back the CD ROM back and it boots very slow. Don't know it happened, but I just found out yesterday about it.

Laptop Model: Acer Travelmate 520
CD ROM: Matshita MODEL CR-177-B

Any help will be appreciated very much!

So what are you asking?
[*]You need a new one?
[*]You asking if this is normal?
[*]Wanna know where to buy a new one?
Please type a question, Sir...

How do I fix it?

It's been **** for me. I thought it can be fixed by reinstalling my OS but it didn't.

Hope anybody here can help me. Thanks!

First check the jumpers on your CD Rom. If it's a slave, make sure the jumper is on slave, and if its a master, make sure you put the jumper on Master. This will have a huge effect. But I doubt this is the problem since it was working for you previously. Jumpers just dont change their position on their own :)

Also check the IDE cable, they are very thin and susceptible to breaking. Try swapping out the IDE cable too.

Techno - it's a laptop ;-)

potato - try upgrading to SP2, it's possible that may fix the problem.
Does the CD-Rom show up in "My Computer"?
You can try an external (USB) CD-ROM drive - if that works then you might want to stick with that.

There are problems with Roxio Easy CD Creator with SP1. It might be a hardware issue, though, so you might want to check ebay or somewhere and look for a replacement CD-ROM drive.

Is there a CD in the drive when it boots slowly or does that not matter?
Have you tried uninstalling the device and letting windows reinstall it?

It sounds like it may be a fauly device. Esp, since you've already reinstalled the OS without it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom