Cd Rom Cannot Be Seen - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2005, 09:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Unhappy Cd Rom Cannot Be Seen

I have transfered my hardrive to another PC and it works Ok but it will not see the CD drive. I have checked in the Bios and it reads it OK It appears windows cannot see the drive. i am running Windows 98.

i also tried a usb memory stick and it does not see that either

I cannot wipe the hard drive as it has some programmes on that I need

Please any help welcome

Old 10-14-2005, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Well check device manager to see if it is recognizing the driver. If it isn't then just install the driver from a disk, or go to the home page of the maker and download it.

Life is like a womens underware. Hard as hell to get into, but fun as sin once you do.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I'm willing to bet the driver is not detected you should manually install it.
<form action=\"\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search TF before you post!\"></form>
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 10-17-2005, 07:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Try to remove IDE Secondary Channel from your device manager (while in SafeMode), then restart. Windows should redetect the IDE channgel and hopefully your CDROM as well.

As far as a USB stick being plug and play in Windows 98... i've never had it work without having to install some driver. Check the USB Stick's manufacturers site for win98 drivers.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

check to see if all connections are in tacked. as for the usb stick u should dload the driver because 98 does not have the drivers to support these devices
Dell Inspiron 9300
Intel Pentium M 1.73GHZ
128MB ATI Mobility Radeon x300
80GB Hard drive
Old 10-19-2005, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

I bet it's related to your conflicting drivers from your old machine
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
Old 10-20-2005, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

try my computer propterties-manage, it has an option on what do you want to see and what you dont. try diskpart in cmd, it will change drive letter of your cd drive, sometimes windows does not show the drive, b/c two drive has a same letter.

Closed Thread