CD/DVD Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTYankee

Beta member
I am having a strange problem with the CD and DVD drives on two of my three PC's. The problem is that Windows XP is not recognizing when a blank CD has been put in the drive. It also "remembers" when a data CD has been read in the drive and will continue to show both the label and directory contents after the drive has been removed, as if they are being cached.

The two problem PC's are (1) Dell Dimension that is about 4-5 years old and (1) HP Pavilion that is about 2 years old. Both are running XP, but one is Professional and the other is Home Edition. Both also have Norton Internet Security installed. The CD's we're using are HP cd-r 48x.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? If so, I'd appreciate some advice on how to fix it.

BTW, the third machine that's working is a Dell that's about three years old and is also running XP Home. Using the same discs as above, I can copy data on that machine and then read the CD on the other two. I just can't get them to write to a disc or even recognize that a blank disc is in the drive.

Update - I remembered that the Dell that's working has a newer DVD drive in it that's only about a year old or less. I tried the write to the HP again but this time dropped the write speed to 8x and it worked. I still don't know why the contents of the most recent CD are being "remembered" but at least the write problem has been resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom