CD/DVD Drive not recognizing cds or dvds

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommad50

Beta member
Someone, please advise!!!

I have a SONY CD/DVD burner drive and my system (Windows XP) is indicating that the drive is working properly, but it is not acknowledging or reading any disks that I put in the drive. It has the lastest drivers and everything is enabled, including the drive in the BIOS settings.

What could be wrong??

Open device Manager. Find the drive in the tree. Open it's properties. Click on the Details tab. Click the drop down, and select Device Upper Filters, Device lower filters, Class Upper filters and Class Lower filters. Post what you find in each one.

I will do this as soon as I get home, as I am at work now. I've never noticed the options you mentioned in the device manager before. I have Windows XP professional and when I click on the drive's properties, it indicates that the drive is working properly. I will do as you say and if these options are available, I will post what I see and we will go from there. Thank you.

your using the standard microsoft ide driver or the nvidia one?
try this goto start-->run--sysdm.cpl-->hardware-->device manager expand "ide ata/atapi controllers" and right click each ide channel and click "uninstall" restart when done , if it wont do the trick then try this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314060 , the drive itself might be faulty the best ways to tell is to test it on another pc or setting the bios to boot from cd and puting a bootable cd in, the windows cd for example , i dont agree on the firmware ^ if it doesnt read anything the firmware got nothin to do with it

Ok, thanks. I will try this as soon as I get home. I believe I am using the standard IDE driver. As far as the drive, this is a brand new drive that I replaced, thinking that something was wrong with the old, but obviously the problem is not with the actual drive. I'll let you know the results.

MommaD50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom