CD/DVD Drive not recognizing cds or dvds - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2006, 08:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question CD/DVD Drive not recognizing cds or dvds

Someone, please advise!!!

I have a SONY CD/DVD burner drive and my system (Windows XP) is indicating that the drive is working properly, but it is not acknowledging or reading any disks that I put in the drive. It has the lastest drivers and everything is enabled, including the drive in the BIOS settings.

What could be wrong??

Old 03-29-2006, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s
Send a message via MSN to office politics

do the cds/dvds work in another pc?

Old 03-29-2006, 09:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

if you go to my computer, can you see the drive?
Old 03-29-2006, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Open device Manager. Find the drive in the tree. Open it's properties. Click on the Details tab. Click the drop down, and select Device Upper Filters, Device lower filters, Class Upper filters and Class Lower filters. Post what you find in each one.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I will do this as soon as I get home, as I am at work now. I've never noticed the options you mentioned in the device manager before. I have Windows XP professional and when I click on the drive's properties, it indicates that the drive is working properly. I will do as you say and if these options are available, I will post what I see and we will go from there. Thank you.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to NayNay1991x

if not sometimes it helps by updating the CD drives drivers with a firmware update
Old 03-29-2006, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

your using the standard microsoft ide driver or the nvidia one?
try this goto start-->run--sysdm.cpl-->hardware-->device manager expand "ide ata/atapi controllers" and right click each ide channel and click "uninstall" restart when done , if it wont do the trick then try this , the drive itself might be faulty the best ways to tell is to test it on another pc or setting the bios to boot from cd and puting a bootable cd in, the windows cd for example , i dont agree on the firmware ^ if it doesnt read anything the firmware got nothin to do with it
Old 03-29-2006, 01:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok, thanks. I will try this as soon as I get home. I believe I am using the standard IDE driver. As far as the drive, this is a brand new drive that I replaced, thinking that something was wrong with the old, but obviously the problem is not with the actual drive. I'll let you know the results.

Closed Thread