CD/DVD Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithryndil

In Runtime
My mom is trying to download music from iTunes to burn to a cd. She has Windows Vista Home Basic on her computer and the following cd rom drive:

ATAPI DVD W DH16W1P ATA Device

She is wanting to download music so I decided that iTunes would be good for her. However, when I installed iTunes it apparently altered the registry. When it did that Windows Vista said "The Device Cannot Start (Code 10)." The drivers were up to date.

So I fixed the cd rom problem by following the directions on another website saying to create a notpad file and name it fixcd. After doing that, iTunes gave me a message stating that it's burner registry files were changed and to reinstall iTunes. I am wondering if there is a way around this so that she can use iTunes to buy songs and also use iTunes to burn those songs to a cd. Thanks. If you need more information let me know.

iTunes likes to mess with Vista's registry in terms of disc drives... I haven't found a way around this quite yet... You could always try using a different program to burn...

I tried using a different program, but the file she had bought from iTunes was protected and would work. Can you recommend a good free burning program? My computer came with some version of Nero Start Smart, so I don't have this issue.

If it is protected by DRM then nothing you use will burn it correctly cause it is not allowed to be burned to CD. That goes beyond the license of iTunes. Since it can then be ripped back to the PC DRM Free. That is why iTunes doesnt allow DRM content to be burned to CD.

But if you want to try there are a bunch of things listed in the Recommended Software for Certain tasks thread. Plus the list of free and open source downloads has them as well.

CDBurnerXP will be your first choice.

Ok, well CDBurnerXP is what I wound up downloading. Is iTunes the best place to get music from? Do you know which sites will allow me to download music without DRM?

Most of the sites i know of are against our rules to talk about. Sorry. But i am sure a Google search can help.

Well, from what I found out, Napster appears to be a legal way to download music that would allow my mom to burn cds as well. I have heard of Napster, but have never used them, do you know if it's a good place to go?

Napster used to be the big pirate place to go. But they were shut down a while back and then came back with backing cause they are now a pay per use service. I havent used them either. But you can google around for ways to remove DRM as well.

Yeah...what a pain. By using programs to remove DRM, however, it is no longer legal. I was hoping for a legal solution for my mom. It seems like you can purchase individual songs from Napster and that they do not have DRM...so perhaps we'll try that.

Isnt there a way to get DRM free songs from iTunes as well? I thought there was with a specific plan. I dont know for sure. I dont use iTunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom