cd copying software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

In Runtime
I am looking for software that will allow my to copy one cd to another with only 1 cd drive. Does anyone know of such a program?

thanks

Any CD copying software can allow you to copy with only 1 drive.

I use Nero 7 for everything.

You will have to make a Image of the CD first. Then burn that image.

Look to things like Alcohol 120, MagicISO, ISOBuster, PowerISO and things like that. There are some that can do it like Nero but they copy it to the hard drive first.

You will have to make a Image of the CD first. Then burn that image.

Look to things like Alcohol 120, MagicISO, ISOBuster, PowerISO and things like that. There are some that can do it like Nero but they copy it to the hard drive first.

?

You shouldn't need to manually create an image of the disc first. Just use a CD burning program to make a copy of the disc to another disc (it will create an image of the disc and burn it in one step). As already said, any CD burning program will allow you to copy discs. Search google and you'll find some free CD burning programs like DeepBurner Free and CDBurnerXP.

Making a Image would be just like making a copy. Since the burning program will take the contents and dump them on your hard drive anyways since it isnt a direct burn.

As he said it is only using 1 Drive. Not a direct copy from a CD to CD with multiple drives.

So the program will dump it to his hard drive and then you eject the media, put in the blank and then burn.

So in doing so making a ISO is no different than what he is doing except for the fact that it will guarantee that it will work. Since making the Image will not corrupt the data at all and who knows what can happen to the data once it is on the hard drive thru a burning program while you are doing other stuff.

My method is no different except for the fact that i prefer a much safer method of making a backup with 1 drive. I have had burns that have been bad from having the contents get dragged to the PC and then switching disks. At least my method i can say there is a 100% success rate.

I understand that he is copying a disc with only one CD drive, and not doing a direct copy using two optical drives.

When you copy discs in Nero, it actively dumps the contents of the disc to a single image file which is saved on the hard drive, and burns it (hence why you can manually specify a temporary image location). It's deleted once the burn is complete. The individual files aren't just copied to an unprotected directory on the hard drive. All CD burning programs today do this when you copy discs (even the free ones such as CDBurnerXP and DeepBurner Free). To add, most CD burning programs today like Nero, will verify the contents of the written data by doing a sector by sector comparison with the cached data.

I also understand that there's a higher chance of something going wrong if the files from the disc are dragged to the hard drive and burned that way, but this isn't the case when copying discs using CD authoring software.

So, using disc imaging software to create an ISO image, then burning it manually is the same as copying a disc using CD burning software. However, the difference is that CD burning software will do it all in one step making it easier to copy discs, and there are numerous free CD burning programs available to download and use.

Alvin i am not disputing that doing it with software wont work.

But it isnt perfect. If the application crashes, the PC crashes or something liek that happens before you burn it you have to start all over again. At least my method you can rest assured that is something forbidden like that happens then you at least have the ISO to burn still instead of having to copy it all back and then try to burn it again.

Plus i have used Nero and have it make coasters before. So it can happen. While the chances of it are low. They are not impossbile to have bad copies doing it that way.

I only suggest ISO cause it is a safe and secure way to do it. Plus if you have the space, can just use the ISO and not burn it to CD. ;)

Hello,

That's understood, it's just that your understanding was that CD burning software dumped or dragged the contents to a directory on the hard drive and not to a single image file just like an imaging software would do, so I was making this clear that it was not the case with CD burning software.

If the PC crashes before you get to burn the image file in Nero, the image file will still be saved on the hard drive in the default or specified temporary location, since it is only deleted once the burn has successfully completed. So, in the case of a crashed computer, you would just need to boot up again and burn the image file to disc.

On another note, personally I don't like using Nero, mainly because of the other annoying tools it installs by default, like InCD and BurnRights (not to mention the startup processes). I prefer lightweight and free like CDBurnerXP (which in a funny way unintentionally rhymes, lol!).

Ohh i agree. I only have Nero installed to use with certain apps that require it to burn. Since they use that burning engine. But i only install certain parts of it. Burning Rom, Vision and Recode.

I use free apps for the rest. ImgBurn, CDBurnerXP and a few others. I have just found that for ease of use and trial and error that a ISO is easiest for me. Most people dont pay attention to where the temp file location is so they lose it. ;)

But you are right. It would still be there. Forgot about that part. Temp files. Gotta love em at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom