cd burner crashes - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Enterprise SCCM\SCOM

Send a message via ICQ to jseber1982 Send a message via AIM to jseber1982 Send a message via Yahoo to jseber1982
Default cd burner crashes

Ok, got 2 systems, 2 different cd burners, both got xp, both have all the windows updates.. both of them, when i do a on the fly copy, it says that the blank disk is only 529megs, no matter which blank disk i put in. And if i do a image to harddrive copy, i get a bsd sayin that the system went into an infinite loop. So one of the machines, i reformatted and installed no updates.... same thing. i am using the latest version of nero, and also tried roxio 6. I figured it was the windows updates, but since i reformatted and it still did it dunno what to do. one pc has an xp300,, and the other a p3, so one new and one old system, same results

Old 11-11-2004, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: cd burner crashes

Quote:
Originally posted by jseber1982
Ok, got 2 systems, 2 different cd burners, both got xp, both have all the windows updates.. both of them, when i do a on the fly copy, it says that the blank disk is only 529megs, no matter which blank disk i put in. And if i do a image to harddrive copy, i get a bsd sayin that the system went into an infinite loop. So one of the machines, i reformatted and installed no updates.... same thing. i am using the latest version of nero, and also tried roxio 6. I figured it was the windows updates, but since i reformatted and it still did it dunno what to do. one pc has an xp300,, and the other a p3, so one new and one old system, same results
I would try a new cd burner

Old 11-11-2004, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Enterprise SCCM\SCOM

Send a message via ICQ to jseber1982 Send a message via AIM to jseber1982 Send a message via Yahoo to jseber1982

both systems got different burners.. and i just swapped a burner on one, so 3 birners, same thing
Old 11-11-2004, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: cd burner crashes

Quote:
Originally posted by jseber1982
don't take this wrong, but i would swear you had windows 98. I can't help you
Old 11-12-2004, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Enterprise SCCM\SCOM

yea i know, it is acting just like win98. but oh well, i will figure it out. lol dont try to uninstall a windows hotfix, i did it and pc went into an infinite reboot, even in safe mode
Old 11-12-2004, 09:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to silence782

Did you try ipgrading the CD burner's BIOS?
512 DDR 2700
160 GB westerndigital hd
Dual booted with XP/Fedora Core 5
PCchips M848A mobo
nVIDIA GeForce MX 4000 video Card
Associate\'s Degree in Applied Computer Sciences.
A+ Certified for Hardware and Operating Systems. Network+ Certified
Old 11-12-2004, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I've experienced that CDs that say that they are for 'AUDIO' purposes (not 'DATA') will be often misread at around ~ 530MB instead of 650 or 700. What type of discs are you using?

Also, upgrading the Firmware for the drive from the manufacturer can be helpful in case you actually are using Data CD-R discs.

Closed Thread