CCleaner screwing my web browser - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default CCleaner screwing my web browser

So I got CCleaner from a mate who said it was real good. Cleaned up registry etc etc, and nothing appeared to have change but it apparently cleaned up like 970mb of stuff. Cool? no.

I go to open ign.com and BAM, no .css seems to be loading, everything is in dodgey font, the links are bright blue and purple once clicked. all defaults, webite unusable. can't read anything.

WoW forums (shame, i know, but another example), BAM! Couple of images load, lots of crappy default text, massive white background, website unusable.

Even my guild's forums banner wont load for some reason. That is within 20 mins of using the net. don't know how much more is screwed, but normal stuff like google, here, myspace, seem to work.

now i seem to remember something like this happening while i was using gran paradiso, and i just reverted back to firefox 2 and everything was fine. i used another one of those cleaning programs, so this time i backed up the registry, cleaned it. tried reloading registry, successfully added, did nothing whatsoever.

any idea on how to fix this cause it'll drive me crazy. i'd rather kill myself than use internet explorer, and it would appear firefox is screwed.

cheers,
Sydz

92% of teenagers have put some stupid made up statistic in their signature. If you're one of the 8% that aren't quite as gulliable, copy this.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default Re: CCleaner screwing my web browser

System restore to the day before you ran it. This is the first I've seen CCleaner doing this. Sure it isnt something else?

Old 02-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

CCleaner cleans out your web cache files. Where some of those files could have been stored. CClenaer does not affect anything else. Firefox should be able to download all of these images again.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 02-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

yeah well it's happened twice now, lol, sigh
both times was using the cleaning utility programs like ccleaner, so idk what is going on. i'll try a system restore

92% of teenagers have put some stupid made up statistic in their signature. If you're one of the 8% that aren't quite as gulliable, copy this.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

It could be the "other" program you are using. From the sounds of it, it isnt jsut CCleaner you have tried. I know that CCLeaner would not affect your system like this. I can not vouch for any other though.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 02-22-2008, 02:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Just did a system restore, did nothing.

The "other" program, I can't remember what it was, but it was deleted a long time ago, but it was along the same lines as CCleaner. And yes, I am certain CCleaner did it cause I didn't run any other programs yesterday aside from a couple of games, and the exact same thing happened when I used a similar program to gran paradiso.

sigh, any ideas?

Old 02-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via MSN to CntdwnToExtn

are you running or did you add any extensions in FF like no script?
i've never seens CC do this either and i've ran that whole list of verions they have...

[119.1439] CntdwnToExtn panic - no beer: Fridge empty!

Closed Thread