CCleaner

spacecadet11

In Runtime
Hello. The program asks me whether I want to create a back up for the registry.

#1. Why does it ask me to do that?
#2. Is there any value in doing that?
#3. What happens if I do not?

Thanks
SC

CCleaner deletes registry objects that it deems unnecessary/wasteful/etc.

Sometimes, those registry items may not be "unnecessary", and the deletion of those that are may do odd things to your PC. So, in case something seems not right or downright wrong with your computer after it does a cleaning, it can always restore a backup of your registry to bring any of the deleted items to rectify the problem.

If you're not familiar with the registry (or even if you are) you should probably have it make a backup (just in case).

I would tell the program not to screw with your registry at all. Sometimes it can delete things which ARE very necessary and which case you will need to reinstall Windows.

images.jpg

Last edited:
I would tell the program not to screw with your registry at all. Sometimes it can delete things which ARE very necessary and which case you will need to reinstall Windows.

Exactly. CCleaner gets rid of entries that are inactive at the time of scan. That doesnt mean they are not ever used, just that at the time of the scan they are not active. Which can create issues which Joe posted a picture of. It can cause system corruption which will cause you more pain and issues than you currently have.

I've used the registry clean more times than I can count, and am yet to encounter any system errors. Not saying it can't happen (obviously it can) - just that it's not something I'd be fretting over and/or avoiding the use of.

+1
I have used ccleaner, and wise registry cleaner on every machine I have ever build and used with no issues, since who knows how long ago. (years) I wouldn't sweat it much.

If you go to options/advanced you can uncheck the block to ask if you want o back up the registry or not. This way it won't bother you again.

+1
I have used ccleaner, and wise registry cleaner on every machine I have ever build and used with no issues, since who knows how long ago. (years) I wouldn't sweat it much.

If you go to options/advanced you can uncheck the block to ask if you want o back up the registry or not. This way it won't bother you again.
Question. Why?

A decent builder shouldn't have to use a registry cleaner at all, and a decent tech shouldn't have to use it to clean a PC either. Just my 2c.

I've cleaned up and built hundreds of PCs and have never touched a single "do it all" program like one of these.
Back in the day, these types of programs you avoided like Norton A/V. I don't get why they are so "ok" now.

A decent builder shouldn't have to use a registry cleaner at all, and a decent tech shouldn't have to use it to clean a PC either. Just my 2c.

Eh? So how do you find obsolete registry entries? Or are you suggesting they don't matter and shouldn't be removed?

Back
Top Bottom