CCleaner - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Smile CCleaner

Hello. The program asks me whether I want to create a back up for the registry.

#1. Why does it ask me to do that?
#2. Is there any value in doing that?
#3. What happens if I do not?

Thanks
SC

spacecadet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pushing Daisies on Saturn

Default Re: CCleaner

CCleaner deletes registry objects that it deems unnecessary/wasteful/etc.

Sometimes, those registry items may not be "unnecessary", and the deletion of those that are may do odd things to your PC. So, in case something seems not right or downright wrong with your computer after it does a cleaning, it can always restore a backup of your registry to bring any of the deleted items to rectify the problem.

If you're not familiar with the registry (or even if you are) you should probably have it make a backup (just in case).

Yevrag35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

I would tell the program not to screw with your registry at all. Sometimes it can delete things which ARE very necessary and which case you will need to reinstall Windows.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

Moved to Software board.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
I would tell the program not to screw with your registry at all. Sometimes it can delete things which ARE very necessary and which case you will need to reinstall Windows.
Exactly. CCleaner gets rid of entries that are inactive at the time of scan. That doesnt mean they are not ever used, just that at the time of the scan they are not active. Which can create issues which Joe posted a picture of. It can cause system corruption which will cause you more pain and issues than you currently have.
Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

I've used the registry clean more times than I can count, and am yet to encounter any system errors. Not saying it can't happen (obviously it can) - just that it's not something I'd be fretting over and/or avoiding the use of.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
There and Back again

+1
I have used ccleaner, and wise registry cleaner on every machine I have ever build and used with no issues, since who knows how long ago. (years) I wouldn't sweat it much.

If you go to options/advanced you can uncheck the block to ask if you want o back up the registry or not. This way it won't bother you again.

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i5-7600K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z270 Extreme4
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Nukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukem View Post
+1
I have used ccleaner, and wise registry cleaner on every machine I have ever build and used with no issues, since who knows how long ago. (years) I wouldn't sweat it much.

If you go to options/advanced you can uncheck the block to ask if you want o back up the registry or not. This way it won't bother you again.
Question. Why?

A decent builder shouldn't have to use a registry cleaner at all, and a decent tech shouldn't have to use it to clean a PC either. Just my 2c.

I've cleaned up and built hundreds of PCs and have never touched a single "do it all" program like one of these.
Back in the day, these types of programs you avoided like Norton A/V. I don't get why they are so "ok" now.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
A decent builder shouldn't have to use a registry cleaner at all, and a decent tech shouldn't have to use it to clean a PC either. Just my 2c.
Eh? So how do you find obsolete registry entries? Or are you suggesting they don't matter and shouldn't be removed?

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote