The case of the missing Gigabytes :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeCk_N

Baseband Member
I know this is probably a really stupid question. But im gonna ask it anyways.

I have a 120gb harddrive, but when I check the amount of space on my c-drive the sum of the used and free space is 114.4 gigs.

I just wanna know where the extra gigs are.

Is this a case for Sherlock Holmes.???

:beard:

All hard drives do this but usually not that much it is most of the time config files for the hard drive is this computer a dell or something because it could be there info on the 5.6 gigs

no it is not a dell. i somehow managed too build a computer by myself.

ok that is wierd what kind of hard drive and what verison of windows do you have other partions

TeCk_N said:
I know this is probably a really stupid question. But im gonna ask it anyways.

I have a 120gb harddrive, but when I check the amount of space on my c-drive the sum of the used and free space is 114.4 gigs.

I just wanna know where the extra gigs are.

Is this a case for Sherlock Holmes.???

Did you Install windows? If so, what version? Installing an operating system takes a couple of GIGs so you just kinda have to narrow it down from there. Also, a 120GB HDD isnt really a full 120GB, it is AROUND 120GB. I'd say look at your OS install, did you install the OS more than one time?

Cheers!

my maxtor 120gb, 8mb cache, ATA 133, only formats at 115gb, its normal,
windows sees every
gigabyte = 1024mb

companies adversize drives that
gigabyte = 1000mb so, the space is still there but windows says your drive is smaller. It affects larger drives more,

alright a maths lesson, get 120000, you have that many megabytes, but you think sure thats 120gb but as i said before divide it by 1024 (windows's definition of a gigabyte), you get 117.1875, plus NTFS partition takes up a bit, ........ also mabye theres a gig or so unused space but you can reclaim that unused space by getting partition magic, just use the trial coz i doubt youll need to use it more than once, but youll be lucky to get 116gb

youll be stuck with this problem for as long as computers run on 1 and 0's because of 1 and 0's, ram, formatted hdd etc are all queer sizes...
wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom