modem is looking good now thanks for that. Would use the ibm updator - is this the scanning prog you mean? - but i cant install the cd for the cable which is on a different computer!
reinstalled the cd drivers but no joy as yet on the dvd rom in the docking station,
Am about to try out
but am a bit confused....again! And wonder if it can work and quite how it allows me access - it boots the dvd from the early black screen and then boots up windows? Afraid this is laborious questions - maybe it can be better explained:
1. Copy dckidecd.exe into your root C:\ directory.
- just stright onto c: then? not like into the drivers folder
3. so i have the files : the only dos boot diskette is the win me one i have had to used as unable to use my dvd to make another (though i can use the other computer to do this- but then which of the 4 do i put the files on then!) Anyway i'll try putting them on there
4. Copy mscdex.exe file from DOS (or others) to the DOS boot diskette. Where does this file come from!
5.Add the following statements in the config.sys file in the DOS boot diskette:
- so i open config.sys (with what software?-ah notepad) and where do i write this! - menu or help or cd or no cd or quick...
6.Add the following statement in the autoexec.bat in the DOS boot diskette:
LH mscdex.exe /d:cmd_cd - where in the bat exe do i enter it?
sorry to be dumb but this is the last (ish) step in getting the laptop alive - i just want my dvd back!