a cascade of problems, driving me nuts!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedhiggins

Baseband Member
Hi, i should never touch computers - the hand of death.

Some problems i would appreciate advise on, please help!]

Have a laptop IBM thinkpad - pretty old.

installed windows 2000 (not the best quality cd of it either) - missed two files on instal but seemed fine...

1. if i go to win 2000 help and click on something i get internet exploreer scipt error line 519, 9 Object doesnt support this property or method then gives a url and asks if want to run script i say yes, the link isnt accessed!

2. Add/remove programmes either wont load up or generates an exe error - not good :(

3. My DVD is intermitenntly and rarely registering. It is in a docking bay and may be corrupted

4. The modem seems lost to the wind also but i think i can sort this out

5. Device manager seems to say that the ethernet controller, multimedia audio controller, pci serial port and "unkown device" are problems/ without drivers

I've been struggling for a long time and am losing serious sleep. Is there any advice apart from never touch computers !

thanks....

The best thing to do would to aqquire a new windows CDD

With the amount of problems you have, it's easier to reinstall windows than fix them.

what model IBM is it?
On the bottom of the laptop there is a model serial number. Pleae post. I'll get you links for your drivers...
Seems you are missing a few that are needed.

The Add/remove error is it related to Rundll32?

The DVD player? what do you mean by it's in a docking bay? A docking station? or external drive bay? USB?

it's not too tough to fix. Don't give in to the rebuild BS...

i know what your saying about getting a healthier windows cd but im here now and id like to get on and see what i can make of it. Mine might be the cry of the cack handed im not sure!

That would be great if you could source the drivers. It is 3892b564, i think it is this one. though that is on the bottom of the *docking station* where the dvd is housed. the one for the lapatop is 3892b565.

not sure where they all went!

I have to check again but i dont think it was rundl error, think mcdms or something like that, will check.

DVD is an odd one - worked yesetrday but played up - sometimes showing in my comp, then other times not registering when windows rebooted. Odd - must be driver related right?

thanks a lot

Need the Model Number. That is an IBM serial number.
The Model number would be something like 2647-8bu
so you know what the model type is? IBM 600E, T20, R50, X30....

what OS did it have on before that? Did it come with recovery cd's if so have alook at the model numbers on that.

had windows 98 before and now 2000 professional but no recovery cd's with it

it is an IBM Thinkpad X20 , the DVD worked once today but now not seen again! It also says type 266234g if any help...

thanks all...

thanks a lot, i'll go through these and see what i can do with the computer and what it fixes...have a feeling it might not solve the error message when clicking on add/remove programmes : mshstae.exe error

or the script errors when trying help but soon see, thanks again

are you sure that is the error you are getting when going to Add remove programs?
I'll work on the others as we resolve things. one thing at a time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom