Can't turn on comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechablitz

Solid State Member
Uhh guys can you help me? Se all I did was I scanned my comp with Norton 2005 and then changed the bootup programs in msconfig. Then i restarted my computer and tried to log on to my account it logged on showed my wallpaper and logged off. Did i do something wrong with the msconfig BTW if you guys are wondering how i'm typing this i'm using my sis's comp.

EDIT: I found someone who had the same problem as me but there aren't any solutions in that thread either. If it helps the thread is http://www.windowsforum.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=13332

Mechablitz,

Norton always screw stuff [in particular the AV kit] .msconfig has nuthing to do with your problem . Even if you disable everything you can still have the system online. Yea, try going into safe mode, uncheck any new entries, possibly created by norton [ i guess]. Then try to restart.

If that doesnt work, remove norton completely from safe mode and reboot. Else try system restore as your last option.

BTW, did you have any virii/spyware before you installed and scanned with Norton? [any idea] :rolleyes:

Sorry but those solutions don't work. What I mean is that when I click on my account it logs on, shows my wallpaper and than logs off again. I can't access anything on the computer even when I restart in safe mode.

Final solutions..

Mechablitz,

Start: Jmp step 1

1) use windows Xp repair disk to repair your system. doesnt work?

2) Use the windows Xp cd to reinstall your notorious OS.doesnt work?

3) use windows xp cd to format the system completly and install OS.

4) stop

Intercodes' post

I guess that's the only solution becuase my uncle told me to repair my XP. But if that doesn't work then i'm hopeless becuase I have really important files on my comp. Does anyone know how I can access my msconfig without logging into an account? Thanks

What happens is that when I restart in safemode it shows a list of all the users on my comp plus the "Administrator". Then I click on one of the users and it logs in as usual. It starts to show the wallapaper but then it logs off again and it shows the list of users.

runnin' outta ideas ..

Mechablitz,

There is no way to access the msconfig or registry from DOS. SO I dont think you can edit without logging into a windows session.
And btw, repairing your system with XP doesnt affect your data or the apps. So try 'repair' . If 'repair' doesn work , backup your data to another drive [ remove , connect it to another computer ] and resinstall the OS.
I guess ,there are no more solutions to be offered. Anyone, correct me if iam wrong... :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom