cant start windows, screen just turns black

Status
Not open for further replies.

noliesxjustlove

Beta member
hi everyone, im new to this forum, i just found it on google when i was trying to find out what was wrong with my computer. When i start my computer it does everything its supposed to but after i type in my password for the network, the screen just turns black. In safe mode, it does the same thing, but it turns gray. i tried reinstalling windows and it wont let me because there is a invalid long filename extention or something when it runs scandisk and it says to run scan disk for windows, but when i do that it just keeps restarting and i let it run all night and it didnt finish.

now for my other computer. i think its an easy question, the video card doesnt work, the monitor button turns green for a second then turns orange again and the keyboard and mouse dont turn on. do you think i need a new motherboard?

thanks,
scott

Boot to a windows 9x floppy disk and use "format <drive>:".

Make sure you read the warning.

The windows XP cd also allows you to repartition and/or format with a menu setup.

HOW TO MAKE A DOS DISKETTE (only works in 9x as anything newer has replaced the add/remove programs menu):
1. Choose Start->Settings->Control Panel
2. From the new window open "Add/Remove Programs".
3. Choose the "Startup Disk" tab and continue from there.

Hope I helped.

Your assumption about your motherboard may be correct, try additional booting methods (floppy disk or bootable CD) and see what happens.
-Mike

back up ur files first by booting on DOS promp, then reformat ur HD, i think nothing can do about it. :)

i was still able to log onto my network, so i copied the files i needed to another computer and then reformatted it. its working like new. thanks, scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom