Cant Reinstall Windows XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whirlwind

Fully Optimized
My sons Dell 4400 is getting errors for missing files...also getting pop ups galore.

I put the windows xp home disk in the drive , but when i tell it to stall it says it cant because the windows on the pc is newer version.

Any help will be appreciated.

The cd does not have SP2

The version on the pc has SP2 Installed.....would that be the problem?

i'm lost :(

Hey

While I am waiting for my answer to a question, I think it would be cool to answer some while waiting...

You need to find a BOOTABLE Hard Drive wiper. I recommend getting the Ultimate boot CD. It has every bootable program you'll ever need. You will need to download that (May take about an hour to download) and burn the ISO to a blank disk. Then restart your son's computer with the CD in it. Go to "Hard Drive Tools" and find the Hard Drive wiper section. Any of them are good but you've got to find one compatible with your hard drive. Backup ALL of your important files on the computer onto a disc or removeable drive before wiping. Anyway, start up the wiper and delete everything on the hard drive. This may take 30 - 180 minutes to do, so leave it going untill it is done. Then reboot your computer with the Windows Install CD and install windows.

Hope this helps

yeah just find a bootable partition manager, and delete the partition on the pc and pop in your xp pro cd for a fresh install. and yeah back up everything important first.

Thanks for your help guys....i now have a fresh install on it.

It never asked my to activate windows however?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom