cant read large USB devices on my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Daemon Poster
my computer can read normal flash drives fine but doesnt seem to pick up external hard drives. i dont think its a problem with usb 2.0 per se, it seems to be size related. is there some way around this?

i dont know the actual age of the computer but i bought it in summer 09 from a store that had some second hand units. runs xp and the case is compaq.

thanks!
dan

There is a power limit on USB controllers... I think its 0.5amps at 5v... Just enough to power most smaller hard drives, but not enough for a huge drive.

actually it may not be a compaq after all. im not seeing any identification labels at all and on the compaq site it gives a guide on how to figure out your model number but those instructions arent working. i guess i thought it was a compaq because when it loads up there's a compaq screen somewhere, i think before windows.

anyway so that option's gone. is there anything else?

There is a power limit on USB controllers... I think its 0.5amps at 5v... Just enough to power most smaller hard drives, but not enough for a huge drive.

i dont think thats really the issue here because ive had trouble connecting other things in the past as well. sometimes playing around with it works, and with some drives the front usb wont do anything but the one in the back will. btw the front one isnt not-working or anything, sometimes they see the drives for a minute and then go away. go figure.

so what do i do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom