Can't reach desktop

Do I need to connect HDD to PC before i do that? Before I tried hooking up HDD to PC for data and power, I turned on pc and monitor and it said to hit f2 for bios/settings but doing that brought me to the same window as before of:

PC counting 94,ba,fa,5a,e9, 0 ,5b (might of missed some. Next I saw
1. Initializing and establishing link
2. PXE-E61 media test failure
3. PXE - M0F exiting intel boot agent.

no bootable device - insert boot disk & press any key.

So do i need to hook up HDD or try another FK key? If so, which one?

thx

Last edited:
Do I need to connect HDD to PC before i do that?

:lol: Long day...sorry... forgot I told you to disconnect your HDD.

So it posts with basic components installed, then start putting 1 component in at a time and see when it stops POST'ing.

When I added HD and DVD player I got to my desktop without issue. I then accidentely put my stick or RAM in backwards as I put it in and started PC and heard grounding noise so I quickly unplugged PC. I then took that piece of RAM out and plugged it back on. I got to my desktop but then the PC shut off on its own so I turned it on again and i received a message of thermal pasting, (overheating).

What do i need to do now to get this POS to work.

thx

PS, is there a way to tell if a stick of RAM is any good?

Last edited:
If the ram was in backwards and to started your pc then that ram stick is most likely trashed, take it out and see if can boot with just the one good stick

If the ram was in backwards and to started your pc then that ram stick is most likely trashed, take it out and see if can boot with just the one good stick

I then took that piece of RAM out and plugged it back on. I got to my desktop but then the PC shut off on its own so I turned it on again and i received a message of thermal pasting, (overheating).

What do i need to do now to get this POS to work. Wait few hours to see what happens or wait a day?

Well if it's giving that message then it seems your CPU fan/heat sink isn't connecting right and you will need to remove it, clean the old stuff off and put new paste, The message means the cpu is overheating and it shuts down so it doesn't destroy itself. You may have accidentally banged it and knocked one of the hold down for it loose and now it's not sitting flat on the cpu like it needs to so take a look and make sure it's on there flat and get some new thermal paste because you need it now.

I then took that piece of RAM out and plugged it back on. I got to my desktop but then the PC shut off on its own so I turned it on again and i received a message of thermal pasting, (overheating).

What do i need to do now to get this POS to work. Wait few hours to see what happens or wait a day?

Does this mean the RAM slot is bad on the mobo now?
I only had 2 slots as it is and 1 is already being used by 1 GB RAm or can I take that out and use 2 GB of ram for that 1 slot?

thx

Not sure how you managed to actually lock it in the wrong way, but if you did and powered it on it may have shorted out the ram damaging it or the MB or both. Maybe you got lucky and it's not fried but testing it is the only way to find out, We can't know unless we can test it but you'll need to do that

Back
Top Bottom