Can't open recovered .doc and .xls files recovered with GetDataBack

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcspr

Baseband Member
Hello,

I am having serious problems trying to open files that were recovered from a HP machine in which the user accidentally ran the "Recovery Tool" (or whatever is called the program that the newer hp machines have to 'reset' their PC's).

The hard drive was not booting well, because the user had installed a second anti-virus. Somehow she managed to run the console and "re-formatted" the pc.

Then, she figured she had lost so many important .doc and .xls files that were supposedly made with Office 2003. (Word and Excel).

I recovered the files with GetDataBack, and burned them to a CD and a Jumpdrive. Problem is that Word (from Office 2003) says it needs to install a 'converter' to open the files. They won't open in any Office 2003, I even tried her PC to open the files. I tried to open the excel files too - no succes, the documents open with weird characters, or not opn at all.

Any ideas?

do they have the word and excel icon and extensions like they normaly do and has the name been changed?

They have the Office 2003 icon for the respective files (Word or Excel).

To be specific about the process, I first copied the "once deleted" files to the PC where the original disk was put as slave for recovery.

There was no way to open the files from the hard Disk in which I first copied them. In fact, trying to open the files from the GetDataBack browser itself (in effect, that is like trying to open the files from the original disk, the one that was beign recovered) gave the same error. That is why I personally (but, maybe I am mistaken) have discarded the possibility of it beign a problem related to user rights and whatnot.

Thanks for the fast reply. :)

xcspr said:
They have the Office 2003 icon for the respective files (Word or Excel).

To be specific about the process, I first copied the "once deleted" files to the PC where the original disk was put as slave for recovery.

There was no way to open the files from the hard Disk in which I first copied them. In fact, trying to open the files from the GetDataBack browser itself (in effect, that is like trying to open the files from the original disk, the one that was beign recovered) gave the same error. That is why I personally (but, maybe I am mistaken) have discarded the possibility of it beign a problem related to user rights and whatnot.

Thanks for the fast reply. :)

Im here now if you wanna do it......

Tnx....I'll try the openoffice alternative. They are freeware or shareware right?

Also, Warez Monster - I sent you a pm too.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you all posted.

Sent ya an e-mail with one doc and one xls file. If you can open them, you can e-mail me back or reply here. If that info could benefit more people, posting it here will be OK.:)

xcspr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom