Can't open My Document folder-Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulpingpong

Baseband Member
My Acer laptop came with Windows 7. My last computers are all with XP. My biggest surprise is my access to My Documents is denied, even though I am the only user, and presumably the administrator. What's the solution to that?

Location is not available
C:\User\Paul\My Documents is not accessible.
Access is denied.

That's what came up.

download and install cclearner and perhaps try scanning the registry for errors with it, you will no doubt get many, fix them all, and see if that fixes the problem. Post back if it does not.

Download the free program ccleaner (google it) and install/run it. Click on registry, then scan, then there will be a button that says fix or something like that, and do it (don't make a backup of it).

I'd trust Mak on this one ;) lol
Registry corruption could also be the cause, but IMO it's more likely the permissions on the folder are incorrect.

^is that really the problem? because googling it i found that reg corruption could be the cause as well.

99% of the time it is as simple as permissions. If the XP account had a password on it, this is what happens with the introduction of the UAC. Previously it wasnt needed due to the fact that the first account created in Windows was a full admin account. As with Vista/Win7 it is just a power user account with some admin rights. It is also the same reason why people get the prompt from the UAC to install some programs.

So while the account created is considered an Administrator account, it isnt the full Admin account. That is the one that is hidden and must be unlocked. If you unlock that account and use it you will rarely see an UAC prompt at all. It still happens from time to time for certain things, but for the most part you wont ever see the UAC prompts.

This was one of the major things that was done to the newer OS's to help prevent access to such files by infections. While it can be problematic at times, it was done with the best of intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom