Can't open Add/Remove Windows Components

Status
Not open for further replies.

genistas

Baseband Member
Hi!
I'm unable to open the Add/Remove Windows Components program. When I press the Windows Components button from within Add or Remove Programs, I get a number of error messages. The first thing I tried to fix it was to extract the sysoc.inf file from the XP CD and restart the PC. This took care of the first error message and left me with another:

"Setup was unable to open the information file wbemoc.inf. "

Pressing OK to that message brought up another:

"The Program could not be initialized."

I extracted wbemoc.inf from the CD which resolved that message, but then was given the same error for the file ntoc.inf. I extracted that file and was given yet another:

"The installation library for component Fax could not be initialized."

Does anybody know what's going on here?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-Dan

Back up your critical data.....it's reinstall time. Go buy some beer and prepare yourself for the Joy of an evening with XP install!!!! :)

RicoDirenzo said:
Back up your critical data.....it's reinstall time. Go buy some beer and prepare yourself for the Joy of an evening with XP install!!!! :)
Ppptpththtptptpt!

After the backups, it'll take you an hour, tops.

csamuels said:
yea ok, an hour for the os install....and another 2-3 for all apps, updates, and config
Hey, you wipe yer HDD clean, the ordeal's the same whether it's Windows or anything else. After you install the OS you gotta install yer own apps.

Of course, application installations are quick. And, if you were smart, you saved your config files, so it's just a cut-n-paste 3-second job there. And the updates for the OS are AUTOMATED...

It's just not that big of a deal.

Well, it wouldn't be too big of a deal if I had to do that. Not that it would make a big difference, but there is a new twist to my problem. It turns out that SFC isn't really working at all. It sits there for about 90 seconds and then shuts down. The blue bar never even appears. I tried replacing the SFC executable and .dll. Plus I have checked for viruses, scanned the registry, whole nine yards there. Any ideas why SFC is shutting down? Just curious.
thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom