can't join xp to a domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

selina

In Runtime
i have a laptop that i can't join to a domain.
it's a brand new laptop and i was just setting it up. i first joined this machine to our domain to run updates. it came with symantec client security and i needed to install symantec antivirus client to manage this machine from a server. i uninstalled client security and to make sure the uninstallation was complete, i deleted some of the registry keys/values which were said to be delete according to symantec. i installed SAV 10.1.
becuz there are a few more new machines that i needed to set the same way, i disjoined this machine from the domain so that i can burn an image of this.

when i try to rejoin this machine to the domain, i get an error message:
A doamin controller for the domain <domain> could not be contacted.
Ensure that the doain name is typed correctly.
If the name is correct, click Details for the troubleshooting informtaion.

i've even set the DNS servers to static to point to the DNS servers.
servers are on Win2K3server R2
workstation is on WinXP SP2

thanks for the help!!

not to rain on your parade, but imaging a machine that has joined a domain will cause you a ton of problems down the road. If you need to install anything that is on the domain, as long as you can get on the network (i.e. plug in get IP) you can pass credentials to the network. So adding to domain was not needed.
FYI, I design and create custom builds for corperations, so I can speak to this first hand.

Do you have a valid IP?
can you try connecting to a network location? i.e \\server\share
Is the firewall turned on?
Can you ping the DNS server?

are you using a local user account?

imaging was done before i tried rejoining the machine to the domain. :)

ip address is fine.
i can also conenct to a network location.
firewall is turned off.
i can ping the dns server from this machine but i can't ping the machine from the dns server.
and yes, i'm using a local admin acct.

delete the invalid SSID's, they will be a bunch of random numbers under the user accounts

rename the computer

reboot

rejoin back to the domain

reboot

add users, etc

did that work?

oi!
i ended up reintalling the OS to start from scratch.

as for invalid SSID, i suspected it, too. there was no unresolved SSID...

i might have screwed up the registry keys when i tried to thoroughly delete symantec client security.

thanks for the help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom