Can't install XP on SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durnberg

Solid State Member
I am installing Windows XP Pro after I have reformatted and I am using an SATA drive. My motherboard
is an ASUS a8v deluxe and I understand I need to install drivers to install the SATA drive. Everything in the bios looks right, the first boot device is the cd rom drive, Onboard SATA BootROM is enabled, and it seems to read the SATA drive is there. When I hit F6 at the start of the windows installation to install a SCSI or additional device it takes the drivers and seems to work fine. Later in the installation is claims that it can't find the hard disk and I need to enter the disk again, then it reads it is not the right disk or the disk is damaged(I have tried 4 different floppies).

I don't know what else to try, I don't really want my OS installed on a 250 GB ATA HDD. I got the drivers for the SATA from the motherboard manual instructions using the makedisk function.

I admit I am sort of a newbie but I am now and have been googling the problem for resolution, any ideas?

No I haven't tried that, I will once I get home (at work). The bios is detecting the drive, if that works I will get my wife to kick my crotch. I'll let you know.

sometimes there is more than 1 make disc driver on the mobo cd. I had an asus that had 4-5 different make discs on it

Well thanks for the advice guys, I found the problem in the bios which I had almost ruled out. I had to disable some promise controller, I originally thought that enabling boot from sata was enough. Now I will wait for the next problem to come up :p

Thanks again dudski's!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom