can't install xp on my machine:

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
im sick and tired of vista. I tried defending it and ignored people's comments on how it sucks. It does suck. I can't even play a 6-year old Warcraft 3 game at 40+ fps after a while when my 7-year old pentium 4 comptuer can play it flawlessly at 60fps

vista is a resource hog that i have to change all these settings, setting cpu priority having to reformat comptuer multiple times.

XP has no problem.

im using a 64-bit machine

p.s. i put my SP2 Windows XP disc but it seems like it won't install in my Gateway 7800fx machine.

So you want to install xp on your system.

What is the question?

Is it for the system in your rig?

are you planning on xp64?

Having problem with drivers or sata install?

ok the fun part will be finding the sata drivers for xp (your laptop most likely uses sata). If you are lucky your manufacturer has it on their website. If not we need to find what sata controller it is using to get the install driver.

what make and model laptop is it.

Lets not start a xp vista discussion here. The OP has made their decision so discussions of which is better would be pointless. For the record I like vista but lets try to get xp running on this baby.

Personally, What I would do Is shrink Vista down to a small partition, Then I would install XP in the other partition.

If you want to get rid of vista completely, I believe you have to annihilate the HD first. I recommend Boot and nuke. Its a free download, Just google it and it will be the first one.

Then You should be able to install whatever you want without Vista complaining about being downgraded.

But yea as someone else already said, make sure you have all the proper drivers for your machine before downgrading.

If you want to get rid of vista completely, I believe you have to annihilate the HD first. I recommend Boot and nuke. Its a free download, Just google it and it will be the first one.

that's just a waste of time. you are overwritng everthing anyway.

akasixcon do you know how to use nlite? I only ran across one computer that I couldn't put xp on. It was a sony and it wouldn't let you change the sata acpi (or achi) mode in the bios. the new trick is to have it in that mode and xp will never recognize it. fortunately most computers give you the option to change that mode in the bios

i am using the p-7811fx Gateway Laptop
check my signature for specs

I have reformatted over 4 times within the past year in hopes of improving speeds. I pretty much stripped it of anything fancy and it still cannot run Warcraft 3 (6 year old game) consistently at 60fps. My other 7 year old computer machine of Windows XP can run Warcraft 3 flawlessly at 60fps.

I don't know how to use nlight. The manufacturer's website of Gateway has XP drivers in it so I'm set and stuff.

I would suggest that before you try nlite, you check to see if your computer can do what EricB said his computer cannot do. Go into your BIOS and see if it has a compatibility setting for your SATA drive. If it does, turn it on. It will make your SATA drive appear to be the older IDE type, and you will be able to install XP.

Then, if you don't happen to have that setting, you can check out nlite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom