can't install windows xp on asrock z77 extreme 4

alban

Baseband Member
so i built my computer asrock z77 extreme 4 motherboard, evga gtx660 graphics card, i5-3570k 3.4ghz processor, 16gb vengeance ram, when i start the computer i get to that screen for the motherboard with the time and temperature and etc, however if i attempt to install windows xp it starts off loading the files then a bit later the blue screen appears with a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer along with one of those stop 0x08000 etc numbers, why is this happening? do i need a windows 7 or windows 8? is windows xp not compatible? do i need to do something with my harddrive first before attempting to install it?

XP does not have SATA drivers. You need to go into the BIOS and set the SATA controller to ATA mode instead of AHCI or you need to find the XP SATA drivers for your SATA controller and load them from a floppy disk (yes, floppy disk) during installation. Another possibility is to slipstream the SATA drivers onto your XP install CD.

XP does not have SATA drivers. You need to go into the BIOS and set the SATA controller to ATA mode instead of AHCI or you need to find the XP SATA drivers for your SATA controller and load them from a floppy disk (yes, floppy disk) during installation. Another possibility is to slipstream the SATA drivers onto your XP install CD.

+1

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

Plus may I ask why you would want to install a 32 Bit OS when you have 16GB of RAM? You do realize that you will lose the ability to use 12GB of that RAM right? XP X64 will be able to use it all. As would Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Forget the whole aspect of SATA Drivers, lets look at the specs and ask why you want to hamper the machine before you even install your OS.

now i have developed another problem which im angry with as i was on windows xp, now since u mentioned it not using all my 16gb i am going to be forced to buy windows 7, well i was installing drivers from my asrock extreme 4 motherboard and i decided to change the screen resolution during the installation i didn't restart after each instalation as recommended now after the windows xp loading bars are finished the screen stays black, i tried auto adjust i tried to change the monitor it seems it doesn't matter what monitor i use it still stays black what in the name of god is wrong with my monitor settings how do i change them? and should i buy a 32 bit or 64 bit windows

Last edited:
Press F8 on boot after you see the motherboard splash screen to get to the advanced boot menu (where you would see Safe Made and such). Choose the "VGA Mode" option, I believe is what it's called on XP. This should take your resolution down to 640x480, and then you can adjust the resolution from there.

You should buy 64bit, otherwise you'll be limited to 3.5 - 4GB of system RAM + VRAM.

after changing resolution on vga mode, i then proceeded to load regularly and the screen problem is there i have to keep loading vga mode just to see the screen its just ridiculous

Back
Top Bottom