Can't install Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

topherus

Baseband Member
This problem never ends. After 4 months of trying to install Windows XP on my computer, I was finally successful. However, for reasons I won't go into now, I decided to reformat my HD and not back it up first; I wanted to do a complete new installation. The first part of the installation procedure goes well. The problem occurs after I choose what partition I want to install XP. After I choose the partition (and I've tried to install it on all of them), the program begins to copy the files. I've been able to get as far as 85% copied before I get an error saying "cannot copy the file" so I try again, then skip and the same thing happens with the next one. I'll cancel and try again. Now the error happens with 0% copied. I have used my original CD, a backup CD, my friend's CD. I even tried to install from the Windows XP ISO file that I created months ago so I can run the install from my HD. Same results. I think we can rule out bad CD's or files. There must be a configuration/hardware problem that I'm not seeing. I did have the same exact problem in the past, but I don't remember what I tweaked or did to install XP before. I have enough free space on each of my partitions to handle the install. Any suggestions?

AMD K6-III 500 MHz (flashed to be ACPI 2.0 compliant)
384 SDRAM
WD HD 20 G (4.5 G free)
WD HD 13 G (6.5 G free)

If you have onboard devices like sound or network card you
might try disabling them before you do the install. You might
also remove any individual cards like a network card, usb
card, modem card etc before you install the xp then if it works
you can install all the disabled or removed devices seperately
and see if one of them is causing your problem.

You might also have a problem with the actual cd player that
you are using to install the xp cd's from. Since you have tried
several cd's it might be the player that you are using to try
and install from not the actual cd's themselves.

The problem is not with the cd drive since the same problem occurs when I try an installation from the hd. All of the files and folders are copied from the cd - the problem occurs with the files already copied to the hd. Example: boot.dl_ , ftdisk.sy_ don't install onto my hd as boot.dll and ftdisk.sys. The error message says "file cannot be copied" retry or abort. My devices aren't a problem either since they were installed when XP was installed before. Also, disabling caching and shadowing didn't work. I'm missing something that I did before and I can't remember. It's like my hd runs out of space and it stops copying the files. I start with 6 Gig of space on my largest partition.

HDD issue

You might have a bad hard drive or you have it formatted with fat 32. Delete the partition and recreate it with NTFS and see what happens. If that doesn't work run disk checker on the drive.

you have a cheap cd rom drive or bad ram. those are the 2 things beside a scratched disc that won't let install the xp files. a cheap drive won't copy the files correctly to the hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom