Can't install OS on new HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB Rekit

In Runtime
I've tried this on 2 different computers with the same results.

1st I put the HD in as a slave and formatted it to NTFS.
Next, I put it in as the master and check that the bios does recognize it as a master. Then, I tell it to boot from CD and it keeps saying that the "bootmngr is missing"

I've tried this on 2 different computers each with 2 different OS (vista business and XP Pro) and get the same message.

I can install the OS when the HD is in the slave mode, but then can never get the OS to run on its own when it is the master.

Any help would be appreciated as I have no clue what to do at this point. Currently it is formatted again so I am ready to try anything.

Thanks,

John

Hello,

Are you sure that you have your BIOS set to boot from CD? It sounds liek that might be the issue. Also when you get it to install when it is slave is that from boot?

If so then have you checked the jumper settings? That would be why it gives problems when you set it as Master.

Cheers,
Mak

No, when I install it as a slave, it has the jumpers in the slave position and I do it through the OLD masters OS by clicking on the DVD drive and telling it that I will determine the install location. It shows up as a slave HD in bios at this point.

When I move the jumpers to the master location, it shows up as a master in bios, but keeps giving me the "bootmngr is missing press ctrl alt del to restart" message.

The HD is a new ExcelStor Jupiter from new egg if that helps and a majority of the time I have put the jumpers where they suggest, though I have tried some other configurations with little success. I know I haven't tried every possible combo, just the ones they list on their sticker.

John

Hello,

Any way you could use a Cable Select jumper setting to see if that works?

Cheers,
Mak

have machine off...
set hd to master and install appropriately
set cd to nothing and chain off master
(above is assuming both are pata - not sure if this is pata or sata, if sata you should not need to worry about jumpers and leave them "off")

turn on...
go into bios...

make sure to set hd to ide mode

boot order
cdrom
hd

SAVE...reboot

format from the disc that way

----

you shouldn't have to need to make the hd drive slave to format, then swap it to master again.
if both drives are pata and you have the hd as master and cd as slave, you can still have the cdrom boot first.
if both drives are sata, you place hd to 0, cd to 1...etc same as above (you actually don't need to do this but it saves some hassle)

try it that way

also, maybe let us know if both are pata, sata or mix

in any event, a manual for excelstor says master drive should be jumpers on AB and GH? Is this correct? Again, only answer once we know more ;)

on 1 computer, brand new mobo it was a mix

on the older computer (the one this HD is for they are both pata)

I just got it to boot from a cd on the older computer with the jumpers in the 32g cable select setting. It didn't like the NTFS format and started installing after doing a quick format in the other type (3 letters, mind went blank)

Right now I have the other HD disconnected so we will see if this works and it will boot after windows finishes installing.

If this fails then I will switch the bios from auto to IDE per Atomic Tofus suggestion.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks guys, got it working now in the computer it is intended to be used on. Jumpers were set in the 32G cable select setting for install and then moved to the regular cable select setting for normal operation and everything is fine. It wouldn't install on my new gigabite MB in those settings though... weird.

because you went the wrong way to install an OS. you left the boot.ini (or boot manager)on the first hdd.

when you install an os on a hdd that you intend to keep as master, you install it with it as master

Well, thought it was fixed as I moved the jumpers from the 32GB cable select setting to the regular cable select setting and it still worked, only it is still showing 32GB instead of the 160.

Any ideas?
Do I need to re-install windows again?

And b/c of Erics post I just wanted to let you guys know that after I tried to install it that way, I reformatted it again and installed it with the new hdd being the only hdd plugged into the MB as the master (if that has any bearing on recommendations of what I need to do).

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom