Can't Install IE On Win2000 SP4

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickc284

Baseband Member
Well, I've got a couple of problems - I can't get my DSL working (SBC Yahoo) or install Internet Explorer.

My DSL seems like it's fine, I just need to use my DSL install disc, but I can't use that because it runs using Internet Explorer. I can't install Internet Explorer because when I try to, it says that another program is open, even though I have closed everything I know how to close.

I don't know how to start in Safe Mode in Win2000 so I can't try that.

I just installed Win2000 Pro SP4 on a new NTFS partition. My specs are:

P4C 3.0GHz Northwood 800 FSB
Abit IS-7
1 GB Corsair Value Select
Western Digital 80GB SATA-150
52x/32x/52x Samsung CD-RW
Sound Blaster Live!
NVidia GeForce MX420
Logitech Key/Mouse
Dell CRT Monitor
Realtek onboard LAN

Please help! I've been working at this for hours - no luck!

Click Start, and then click Shut Down.
Click Restart, and then click OK.
When you see the message Please select the operating system to start, press F8.
Use the arrow keys to highlight the appropriate safe mode option, and then press ENTER.
NUM LOCK must be off before the arrow keys on the numeric keypad will function.

Use the arrow keys to highlight an operating system, and then press ENTER.

Thanks, I booted in Safe Mode, but I still couldn't install Internet Explorer. I still got the same error message: "Setup was unable to install all of the components. Close all applications and try running Setup again."

patrickc284 said:
Well, I've got a couple of problems - I can't get my DSL working (SBC Yahoo) or install Internet Explorer.

My DSL seems like it's fine, I just need to use my DSL install disc, but I can't use that because it runs using Internet Explorer. I can't install Internet Explorer because when I try to, it says that another program is open, even though I have closed everything I know how to close.

I don't know how to start in Safe Mode in Win2000 so I can't try that.

I just installed Win2000 Pro SP4 on a new NTFS partition. My specs are:

P4C 3.0GHz Northwood 800 FSB
Abit IS-7
1 GB Corsair Value Select
Western Digital 80GB SATA-150
52x/32x/52x Samsung CD-RW
Sound Blaster Live!
NVidia GeForce MX420
Logitech Key/Mouse
Dell CRT Monitor
Realtek onboard LAN

Please help! I've been working at this for hours - no luck!

Explorer the cd and choose the setup.exe

type in 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.1 in your web browser that you are using now.

set the user name and password to your main yahoo account and enter the number on the bottom of the modem. I don't remember the exact steps to do this because I don't use dsl

but after you do it, your net connect will always be on and you can use any browser and you won't have to worry about always signing in

Explorer the cd and choose the setup.exe

Nah, that didn't work. I've been trying to burn IE6Sp1 to a CD-R, on the computer that does have a connection but it keeps giving me errors in the process of burning......

I called SBC for the 4th time... and it seems that there's some kind of problem with my motherboard or my ethernet card. I have an onboard Realtek TRL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC and a Cnet Pro200WL (which I can't find the driver for to install again).

I also have a D-Link wireless connected through USB.

Using the ipconfig command, I get a default gateway, IP address, etc, but I can't get to the web for some reason.

My best guess is that my PCI ethernet only works in a certain slot and that the onboard network connection is bad. Any bright ideas? :D

disconnect your router (we'll worry about that later). make sure that you always fix up your dsl first, before attemping to hook up a router as that can really screw things up. add to that scenario that you got a wireless hookup, thing can get really screwy

hook your modem up took your working ethernet. follow my instructions. I wish that I had dsl so I could walk you through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom