Can't get rid of MSN Messenger & Windows Task Scheduler

Status
Not open for further replies.

leecherous

Baseband Member
Does anyone out there know how to get rid of MSN Messenger's autoloading in the "Task Tray" after Windows XP or Windows 98 boots-up to the desktop? I've attempted, unsuccessfully to delete the MSN-M checkmark through MSCONFIG. I'd also like to get rid of Windows Update in the Task Scheduler or the "Task Scheduler" altogether. It's a nuisance especially when the program reassigns its own time slot for downloading even though I've given "Windows Update" a specific time and day to perform the operation. Every time I boot up, a newer random time slot is assigned to "Windows Update."

I believe you have to go into msn messenger and then to options and uncheck "Start when windows starts up".

NeoNemesis said:
I believe you have to go into msn messenger and then to options and uncheck "Start when windows starts up".

yep, you can do that, or if you want it gone you can do that to. Go to my computer, right click on your hard drive, and then go to properties. Click disk clean-up and then the more options tab. Then click the button next to windows clean-up. In the next window that pops up, un-check the box next to anything you don't want (I un-checked MSN, windows messenger, and a few other things). Just remember to leave the things you want checked. But you can get them back later if you accidentally un-check something you want. Good luck.

Another way similar to blackwrx's is simply go to Start | Run | msconfig -> Services (tab), and there you can disable messenger and whatever else you might want. As well under startup are all the misc. programs your computer boots...both of those :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom