Can't get rid of MSN Messenger & Windows Task Scheduler - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2004, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Can't get rid of MSN Messenger & Windows Task Scheduler

Does anyone out there know how to get rid of MSN Messenger's autoloading in the "Task Tray" after Windows XP or Windows 98 boots-up to the desktop? I've attempted, unsuccessfully to delete the MSN-M checkmark through MSCONFIG. I'd also like to get rid of Windows Update in the Task Scheduler or the "Task Scheduler" altogether. It's a nuisance especially when the program reassigns its own time slot for downloading even though I've given "Windows Update" a specific time and day to perform the operation. Every time I boot up, a newer random time slot is assigned to "Windows Update."

Old 08-04-2004, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to NeoNemesis

I believe you have to go into msn messenger and then to options and uncheck "Start when windows starts up".

<font size=\"4\" <a href=\"\">My Forum</a>
we are just starting out so we need you to join!
Old 08-04-2004, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Originally posted by NeoNemesis
I believe you have to go into msn messenger and then to options and uncheck "Start when windows starts up".
yep, you can do that, or if you want it gone you can do that to. Go to my computer, right click on your hard drive, and then go to properties. Click disk clean-up and then the more options tab. Then click the button next to windows clean-up. In the next window that pops up, un-check the box next to anything you don't want (I un-checked MSN, windows messenger, and a few other things). Just remember to leave the things you want checked. But you can get them back later if you accidentally un-check something you want. Good luck.
My new toy!
AMD XP 3200+ Barton
1 GB Corsair Pro Series XMS Extreme Memory DDR400 (dual channel)
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 256 Mb
DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra B
WD 74 GB 10,000 RPM Raptor
Aspire X-Alien Case with 420 watt PS
Lite On Dual Layer DVD +/- RW
Sony Floppy Drive
Logitech Cordless MX Duo
XP Pro
Old 08-05-2004, 03:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Another way similar to blackwrx's is simply go to Start | Run | msconfig -> Services (tab), and there you can disable messenger and whatever else you might want. As well under startup are all the misc. programs your computer boots...both of those
Closed Thread