Can't get GParted Live Working

littleefoxx

Baseband Member
Okay! So I'm in a tricky situation here. I'm wanting to split my C Drive (Which has 1 partition taking up the entire drive) into 2 partitions. If you have a suggestion OTHER than GParted then please, skip the rest and type that up right now!

Anyways, I've used GParted in the past with great luck. So, recently, I've decided to get back into Linux. I was going to put it on a separate partition but there's one issue: I only have one single partition. Now, I could format (Which I've done SO many times recently) but I'd really hate to lose my current settings and I'm a bit limited in the case of back up anyways.

On to the issue. I put GParted live (following the steps on the website) on a 4 GB flash drive that I've used several times before in bootable images, such as a Windows installation. I boot into the drive, and GParted's little message flashes on screen really quick before taking me to a blank window with nothing more than a blinking cursor. The only option from there is to force the PC to shut off, as the computer no longer responds to input.

I really hope someone has a suggestion, and thanks in advance! Request any more information you may need. (I've also posted this in the GParted forums but with no luck, I want a faster response)

Okay! So I'm in a tricky situation here. I'm wanting to split my C Drive (Which has 1 partition taking up the entire drive) into 2 partitions. If you have a suggestion OTHER than GParted then please, skip the rest and type that up right now!

Anyways, I've used GParted in the past with great luck. So, recently, I've decided to get back into Linux. I was going to put it on a separate partition but there's one issue: I only have one single partition. Now, I could format (Which I've done SO many times recently) but I'd really hate to lose my current settings and I'm a bit limited in the case of back up anyways.

I really hope someone has a suggestion, and thanks in advance! Request any more information you may need. (I've also posted this in the GParted forums but with no luck, I want a faster response)

Use this software first for windows, what you want to do is resize your main drive.
Any data you want to be Drive A leave it there any other data you don't need on Drive B.
Either back it up or delete it if isn't that necessary to have.
Whichever drive you plan on using after you backed up, delete the partition and then resize and reallocate the space it had when it was new.
Free Partition Magic alternative and Partition Manager Freeware for Windows XP/Vista/7/8.
Click on your drive, next click resize, I'm sure you know 1000mb equals 1 gigabyte.
Keep this in mind when you resize so that way when your done you won't need to go back to the beginning and refixed whatever you messed up.
Click create a new partition, if you do plan on migrating to linux in that program leave it at ntfs primary.
With whatever distro you plan on using the linux installer should be able to see it and adjust it to whatever options you picked.

Can I repartition my hard disk? - Windows Help
Follow that incase you don't want to use easeus partition.

Last edited:

On to the issue. I put GParted live (following the steps on the website) on a 4 GB flash drive that I've used several times before in bootable images, such as a Windows installation. I boot into the drive, and GParted's little message flashes on screen really quick before taking me to a blank window with nothing more than a blinking cursor. The only option from there is to force the PC to shut off, as the computer no longer responds to input.

I've had issues before with GParted being on a flash drive..not sure why. Same with Parted Magic. I've usually had better luck running it off of a CD. Tried burning it to a CD and booting off of it that way? May have better luck.

I tried to say this was solved last night, but the forum said my activity was marked as suspicious and it wouldn't let me?

Anyways.. I really appreciate the suggestions but I already managed to delete my entire partition and I have Windows reinstalled with a second partition which was my original plan so I'm good now (Sort of) But thanks anyways! So yea [SOLVED] (It won't let me edit the original post)

I've had issues before with GParted being on a flash drive..not sure why. Same with Parted Magic. I've usually had better luck running it off of a CD. Tried burning it to a CD and booting off of it that way? May have better luck.

Also, I have a crappy netbook that doesn't have a CD drive at all :p I also don't have a way to burn one to begin with HOWEVER I'm sure that would've worked. I've got no idea why I always have so much trouble making a bootable flash drive.

Last edited:
Weird - never seen that error you were getting before.

Glad to hear you got it fixed though, sorry we weren't able to help you out quicker!

It's fine! I doubt it would've worked anyways. I think it was just some disagreement with my BIOS. Anyways, I really do appreciate the responses at all. Good day.

It's fine! I doubt it would've worked anyways. I think it was just some disagreement with my BIOS. Anyways, I really do appreciate the responses at all. Good day.

What format was the drive? Ive had issues with NTFS so formatted to exFat and worked fine.. maybe just try that out so you know in the future, it wont take long to give it ago. :cool:

What format was the drive? Ive had issues with NTFS so formatted to exFat and worked fine.. maybe just try that out so you know in the future, it wont take long to give it ago. :cool:

OP said a 4GB flash drive, so it was most likely FAT32. That's an assumption, of course :p.

I tried FAT, FAT32, and NTFS. I also tried an SD Card using a SD-USB converter. I have no idea why it wouldn't work. It has to be a problem with my system. Last night, I put Windows 7 on the same flash drive and installed without issue and can dual boot just fine so it's definitely not an issue with the drive.

I tried FAT, FAT32, and NTFS. I also tried an SD Card using a SD-USB converter. I have no idea why it wouldn't work. It has to be a problem with my system. Last night, I put Windows 7 on the same flash drive and installed without issue and can dual boot just fine so it's definitely not an issue with the drive.

Like I said before, I've had similar issues with GParted / Parted Magic trying to boot from a flashdrive on my system. Though in my case, it always got up to the "Setting up hardware devices..." part of loading, then would go to a black screen and just sit there and not progress. Ran off of my GParted CD...and it worked fine. So could be a hardware conflict as well.

Back
Top Bottom