Can't find a program in Add/Remove Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, got rid of it... but now my question is how do i get my add/remove program list back? now i cant uninstall any other programs either

there is an icon, but the list was greatly shortened..
now i only see 5 programs that i can uninstall when i clearly have much more

sometimes, the list of programs will have a huge gap in it. So if you take the scroll bar and send it to the bottom, you can see the rest.

about 15
all the newly installed programs are showing up as normal but i cant uninstall any of the old ones that were installed before this incident

Here is this:

Some applications in Add/Remove Programs list are missing Change and Remove buttons ?
When you open Add/Remove Programs applet and click an application entry, you may notice that the Change, Remove (or Change/Remove) buttons may be missing, thus leaving only the application name entry there (Fig 1). Here is a method to make Windows show the Remove, Change (or the Change/Remove button together) buttons in the listing. (Fig 3)

RESOLUTION
Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT. This starts the Registry Editor. Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SOFTWARE
\Microsoft
\Windows
\CurrentVersion
\Uninstall
\<Program Name>

<Program Name> here is Adobe Acrobat 5.0 - Taken as an example

In the right-pane, do the following:

Double-click NoRemove (REG_DWORD) and set it to 0
Double-click NoModify (REG_DWORD) and set it to 0

If NoRemove is set to 1, the Remove button will be unavailable
If NoModify is set to 1, the Change button will be unavailable

or try this and apply it to the program that is missing

Symptom
In Windows XP SP2, Windows Media Player 10 entry appears under the Windows XP - Software Updates section. You need to put a checkmark near the Show Updates box at the top. (Related info: Add/Remove Programs filtering in XP SP2)

If the Windows Media Player 10 entry has been removed accidentally from the registry, use this procedure to reinstate the entry.

Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Uninstall

Create a sub-key named Windows Media Player

In the right-pane, create the following REG_SZ values:

DisplayIcon
DisplayName
ParentDisplayName
ParentKeyName
UninstallString
Assign the following data for each value:

Value Data
DisplayIcon C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
DisplayName Windows Media Player 10
ParentDisplayName Windows Updates
ParentKeyName OperatingSystem
UninstallString "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Setup_wm.exe" /Uninstall

Automate the above with this REG file. Download the file and save to Desktop. Right-click the file and choose Merge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom