Cant download - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 06:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

are you talking about downloading in Limewire??

Old 02-06-2007, 06:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to Schmidt1989

Quote:
Originally posted by talldude123
Are you behind a router?
Nope.

And yes im talking about downloading in limewire.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie

isn't there a help page at limewire?
and dude... if you value your security, identity, and sanity... you should remove limewire immediately and never look back (not just an opinion, speeking from experience, with client's computers)
Case:NZXT Trinity Silver PSU:Apevia Aspire 500W UV Green Motherboard:Asus A8N-SLI CPU:AMD Athlon 64 3500 CPU Cooler:Zalman CNPS7700-Cu Video:2x eVga nVidia GeForce 6800XT (256MB DDR) RAM:2Gig (4x512 Corsair TwinX dual channel) HDD:160Gig Seagate Barracuda SATA, 200Gig Maxtor SATA III CD/DVD:LG DVD ROM, NEC 16XDVD+-RW
(\__/) This is Bunny. Put him in your
(='.'=) signature and help him on his way
(")_(") to world domination
Old 02-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

Quote:
Originally posted by fixal0t
isn't there a help page at limewire?
and dude... if you value your security, identity, and sanity... you should remove limewire immediately and never look back (not just an opinion, speeking from experience, with client's computers)
False.
I use Limewire Pro, Bearshare, Utorrent all the time.
No Virus or trojans and 2 pieces of spyware a month.
I have never gotten a letter from my ISP About downloading/uploading nor Have I ever been arrested.

Using.
Router (LinksysBEFSR41)
Opera
Updated windows
Symantec 10 anti Virus
Adware SE Personnel
Spybot Search and Destroy (With teaTimer)
Spyware Blaster

I also have the choice to Install Black ice or Zone Alarm Pro, but haven't had a reason too.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
True Techie

through all that crappy anti-warez... 2 pieces of spyware a month? -nuff said
and limewire IS adware, fact
Case:NZXT Trinity Silver PSU:Apevia Aspire 500W UV Green Motherboard:Asus A8N-SLI CPU:AMD Athlon 64 3500 CPU Cooler:Zalman CNPS7700-Cu Video:2x eVga nVidia GeForce 6800XT (256MB DDR) RAM:2Gig (4x512 Corsair TwinX dual channel) HDD:160Gig Seagate Barracuda SATA, 200Gig Maxtor SATA III CD/DVD:LG DVD ROM, NEC 16XDVD+-RW
(\__/) This is Bunny. Put him in your
(='.'=) signature and help him on his way
(")_(") to world domination
Old 02-07-2007, 02:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ste

Quote:
Originally posted by fixal0t
through all that crappy anti-warez... 2 pieces of spyware a month? -nuff said
and limewire IS adware, fact
Lolers.

Your entire arguement is using induction which is not logical.
Your using one specfic experience to make a generlization.
The customer you spoke of probably didn't keep windows up dated. Didn't have or keep anti virus/anti spyware programs up to date. Didn't use Firefox or opera or didn't update it. They were probably using the free version (V<4)of limewire also. Probably didn't use a router or a good Firewall. (Windows XP Firewall does not count)

No Its not, when your uneducated in the security and defense of your PC you say crap like that.
http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/p2p/
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=80090

Through using and doing everything I do, two Pieces of Spyware a month is awesome.
But if you want to be paranoid and lie to people fine. Only those who are to lazy to do thier own reasearch will believe you. Go ahead and think what you want, while I enjoy the spoiles..
Old 02-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Ste
Lolers.

The customer you spoke of probably didn't keep windows up dated. Didn't have or keep anti virus/anti spyware programs up to date. Didn't use Firefox or opera or didn't update it. They were probably using the free version (V<4)of limewire also. Probably didn't use a router or a good Firewall. (Windows XP Firewall does not count)

No Its not, when your uneducated in the security and defense of your PC you say crap like that.

Through using and doing everything I do, two Pieces of Spyware a month is awesome.
But if you want to be paranoid and lie to people fine. Only those who are to lazy to do thier own reasearch will believe you. Go ahead and think what you want, while I enjoy the spoiles..

You go sister!
Old 02-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ste

Quote:
Originally posted by __Camouflage__
You go sister!
People Need to stay Updated on their Facts. Its true that Limewire and Limewire Pro AT ONE TIME was adware and included spyware but not since version four.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to kfc469

Quote:
Originally posted by Ste
Lolers.

I find this post really funny. You just told Lolers that his entire argument was based on induction, so you countered with one that was based on the same. I don't disagree with you or anything, I've never even used limewire, but don't dis someone for doing something then go do it yourself.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Ste

Quote:
Originally posted by kfc469
I find this post really funny. You just told Lolers that his entire argument was based on induction, so you countered with one that was based on the same. I don't disagree with you or anything, I've never even used limewire, but don't dis someone for doing something then go do it yourself.
How is my arguement based on Induction. Is it not true that a well maintained and secured PC such as the ones I regulate have Little or no Spyware/virus/trojans reguardless of what P2Ping or torrenting is done. I am using Evidence from my countless PC's that I built or Maintained in the past. This is not induction since I am not using one SPECIFIC example to make judgements on or about the future, I am using many examples. With deduction, I am saying that through the many PCs that I moniter or own, I have observed on more than ONE occasion that I recieve less spyware/Virus?Trojans by keep Windows up to date, Having a router or firewall, using an updated broswer such as opera or firefox. Using more than one anti spyware program and keeping it updated. Also using Limewire Pro that is a newer version then 4.0.

Remember:
Induction: Taking or using one specific example to make a generlization about some issue or topic.
Deduction: Taking a generlization (Or in this case Many situations of observed evidence (Emperical)) and making a specific statement about an issue.

In this case I am saying that through many experiences and helping (Countless experiecnes and situations) others ober three forums I have come to the conclusion that you can use Limewire, other P2P programs, torrent alot and Still be "relativily" spyware and virus free so long as you take the proper precautions such as the ones I posted earlier.

Buddy, thats Deduction not Induction, Common, Im bright enough not to have my own arguement used against me.

Now, Lets supose he comes back tommorow and says that it was not one experience which lead him to believe this. Supose he says he has many clients that use Limewire and have given problems.
This would be deduction.

I would counter by asking him what version they were running. If he discovered that they were all programs that were before version 4, I would believe him without question since it is proven that Limewire and limewire pro had crap loads of spyware and adware before version 4 was released. I would then tell him and then to update to any version of Limewire after version 4.

Closed Thread