cant delete a temp file--"file not found" ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

calgirl2

Baseband Member
hi!

im running windows xp (sony vaio laptop) and ive been trying to clean out my temp files.

i ran Disk Cleanup and the progress bar always stopped at around 10%, so i decided to manually clean out temp directories on my comp.

i got to the the following directory:
"c:\documents and settings\(my user name)\local settings\temp\temporary internet files\content.ie5\pzjz5tke\"

and all but 1 file could be deleted. it is a file with no extension and a very long name, with "brokeback-mountain" in the beginning. it is 107kb. when i try to delete it, nothing happens; the file remains and no error message appears.

if i try to open the file via notepad, i get an "access denied" message. when i try to do other things to the file such as using file deletion programs, it says "file cannot be found." if i try to delete its containing folder, i get "cannot delete file. cannot find the specified file. make sure you specify the correct path and filename." i can rename that containing folder but it doesnt affect that file.

when i right-click for properties, the menu only allows "send to" or "open with," and both commands result in errors. i cannot copy+paste the file.

this file is annoying me! i want to get rid of it! it blocks my disk cleanup feature! ive tried closing down all non-essential processes in case there is an accessibility issue, but that is ineffective.

someone help?!

file name (um maybe a typo or two in there):

brokeback-mountain_w0qqbszsearchqqcatrefzc6qqfromzr10qqfsooz1qqfsopz1qqfstypez1qqftrz1qftrvz1qqsacatzq2d1qqsadisz200qqsargnzq2d1qqsaslcz2qqsbrftogz1qqs

actually, i taught myself DOS commands and deleted the file =).

i tried to use deletion programs but when i select the file, it says "file not found. make sure path is correct"

i used "del" to delete the containing directory since i didnt think typing the whole file name would work

was that advd you were trying to copy? Something might have been using that directory when you tried to deelte it

no... it was just a temp internet file that generated while i was browsing internet. the only brokeback mountain thing i looked at was some charity ebay listing, so it probably came from there.

it cant be a file accessibility issue because the path of the file could not be found by other programs. its not even a regular file because when i right-click the file, i dont get the full options menu. it may have been corrupted or invalid maybe because of the long name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom