cant delete a temp file--"file not found" ?! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default cant delete a temp file--"file not found" ?!

hi!

im running windows xp (sony vaio laptop) and ive been trying to clean out my temp files.

i ran Disk Cleanup and the progress bar always stopped at around 10%, so i decided to manually clean out temp directories on my comp.

i got to the the following directory:
"c:\documents and settings\(my user name)\local settings\temp\temporary internet files\content.ie5\pzjz5tke\"

and all but 1 file could be deleted. it is a file with no extension and a very long name, with "brokeback-mountain" in the beginning. it is 107kb. when i try to delete it, nothing happens; the file remains and no error message appears.

if i try to open the file via notepad, i get an "access denied" message. when i try to do other things to the file such as using file deletion programs, it says "file cannot be found." if i try to delete its containing folder, i get "cannot delete file. cannot find the specified file. make sure you specify the correct path and filename." i can rename that containing folder but it doesnt affect that file.

when i right-click for properties, the menu only allows "send to" or "open with," and both commands result in errors. i cannot copy+paste the file.

this file is annoying me! i want to get rid of it! it blocks my disk cleanup feature! ive tried closing down all non-essential processes in case there is an accessibility issue, but that is ineffective.

someone help?!

file name (um maybe a typo or two in there):

brokeback-mountain_w0qqbszsearchqqcatrefzc6qqfromzr10qqfsooz 1qqfsopz1qqfstypez1qqftrz1qftrvz1qqsacatzq2d1qqsad isz200qqsargnzq2d1qqsaslcz2qqsbrftogz1qqs

Old 03-14-2006, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

unlocker will get the job done, http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
edit: or killbox http://projects.securitywonks.net/pr...ls.php?file=11

Old 03-14-2006, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

actually, i taught myself DOS commands and deleted the file =).

i tried to use deletion programs but when i select the file, it says "file not found. make sure path is correct"
Old 03-14-2006, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

so what command did you use to delete it?
Old 03-14-2006, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i used "del" to delete the containing directory since i didnt think typing the whole file name would work
Old 03-14-2006, 04:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

was that advd you were trying to copy? Something might have been using that directory when you tried to deelte it
Old 03-14-2006, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

no... it was just a temp internet file that generated while i was browsing internet. the only brokeback mountain thing i looked at was some charity ebay listing, so it probably came from there.

it cant be a file accessibility issue because the path of the file could not be found by other programs. its not even a regular file because when i right-click the file, i dont get the full options menu. it may have been corrupted or invalid maybe because of the long name.

Closed Thread