Can't create new user account, Vist Home Premium. HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

magentamagic

Beta member
Okay, I'm having so many problems right now... I really hope someone can help me!!! :(

Firstly, I'm nowhere near a computer whizz so I'll try and explain as best as I can!!

I have a laptop operating on Vista Home Premium. I have had it around a year and it has been fine with an administrator account and a standard user account added. Recently when I started university I decided to get a better laptop and said my mother could have the old one. We deleted the accounts that we had set up (administrator and standard user) and created a new account for my mum. We uninstalled the internet and deleted all the games programmes and documents we had had installed so my mother basically had a new laptop to start from scratch with.

When my mum first turned the laptop on she accidentally pressed the power button twice so the laptop shut down improperly. When she restarted it her new account had gone missing from the login screen and mine and my partners were back. So we thought the laptop had performed a restore?

We had a look at it again today and the old accounts have disappeared again. There is no login screen and the only user account is a guest one. Everytime we try and add a new user account we are told we can't have the username as we can't add certain characters (?*=,etc). However the username was diane. No special characters to it. We have tried in vain for hours now to create a new account but no usernames will work and the guest account will not allow us to install any of the software my mum wants put on the laptop.

Please, please, please can someone maybe explain what on earth has gone wrong all of a sudden and how we can create a new user account now as my mum has her broadband package arriving in the next day or so and it is really important we can get this thing back up and running for her again...

Thank you so much for your help!!!! :D

Can you try Safe Mode? F8 after the BIOS splash screen. Does that allow login to a account?

Have tried safe mode and the only account that comes up is like the laptop's administrator account, if that makes sense... It's not one that we've set up and it's password protected. Have no idea what the password is so out of desperation tried to change it but it says "windows is unable to change password". That's the only account that comes up in safe mode... If you start up in normal mode it just goes straight onto the limited guest account... Very confused!!!

Bothered with afterthought - the account that comes up in safe mode is: Asp-Net Machine Account. I don't know if this helps any - I have no idea what it is!!

I looks like the inadvertent power down caused registry corruption. Windows then loaded a backup copy which had your old account info in it. You'll have to delete the old and recreate the new accounts all over again. It's puzzling that your old password doesn't work.

I looks like the inadvertent power down caused registry corruption. Windows then loaded a backup copy which had your old account info in it. You'll have to delete the old and recreate the new accounts all over again. It's puzzling that your old password doesn't work.

Thanks... But how do I go about creating a new account now?? None of the old ones are there - just the Net Machine one, which seems to be hidden unless you reboot is safe mode, and the guest account. Every time I try and add a new user account I'm told I can't have the usernames because you can't use special characters - but I'm not using any!!! Or do you mean reinstall Vista again full stop and create the new accounts from there???

That would be my second problem as we don't have a Vista install disc... It came pre-installed on both the laptops we have... :(

That would be my second problem as we don't have a Vista install disc... It came pre-installed on both the laptops we have... :(

What model do you have? You may be lucky and have a hidden recovery partition. It would better restore from a recovery partition then to mess around with a screwed up registry.

What model do you have? You may be lucky and have a hidden recovery partition. It would better restore from a recovery partition then to mess around with a screwed up registry.

The laptop that's having the problems is a HP Compaq Presario C500. The other with Vista installed is a E-system 1201... Hope this helps a little - I'm no good with this kind of thing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom