Can't change icon

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocki34

Solid State Member
For some files, I can't change the icon because when I right click it and click on properties the change icon button is grayed out.
I run a vista.

Thanks in advance,
Rocki

This only happens to certain icons, for example: All of the Microsoft office 2003 programs except for outlook, Steam and Skype. These are the only files on my desktop that have their change icon button grayed out.

I am not aware of any software or "tweaks" that can gray out the change icon button.

Also, when I change a folder icon it is only that folder that is changed, is there a way to change all of the folders' icons, so that when new folders are created they automatically use that icon?

Also, is there a way to change the icon of files like the control panel without making a shortcut of them?

Thanks,
Rocki

Heard about the MS Office icons giving trouble to change, this is due to the fact it does not locate to an "icon" file to say...it relies on programs to retrieve the icons for it. You can try:
1. Uninstalling MS Office, run CCleaner and clean up everything then reinstall.
2. You can download IconTweaker.

Option 2 to may have a way to change the control panel icons without creating a shortcut.

I downloaded icontweaker, but when I tried to open it, it said that my windows version couldn't support this version of icontweaker. I don't have the disk for the MS programs and i don't want to lose them so I don't think i should uninstall them.

Rocki

What OS are you using? You can also try this:

That is because the Microsoft Office shortcuts are specical Windows Installer shortcuts and some options like Change Icon are disabled for them. You will have to create shortcuts to the exes in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OfficeXX to get shortcuts with a Change Icons button.
Note: This would only affect the shortcut. When the program is open, the taskbar button and title bar will still have the normal icon.
OR
try dragging an Office icon to quick launch. Right click for 'properties', left for 'change icon'.
Works for me.

Source How to change icons of office 2007 How-To Geek Forums. May not be 2003 Office but may be the same concept.

I'm using vista home-premium 86 bit (or whatever "bit" in the 80's.)

You still haven't replied to " when I change a folder icon it is only that folder that is changed, is there a way to change all of the folders' icons, so that when new folders are created they automatically use that icon?"

I don't have the directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office

The second option also doesn't work.

Nothing's worked for me yet lol

Rocki

Hmmm lol. You got 32-bit (x86 :p) and also I don't think there's any way to change the default icon of the folder without using 3rd party software. Same applies to changing default icons in the Control Panel and Office icons. Can't locate any free icon changers at the moment, hope someone can chip in and save the day lol.

*super man theme*

Is there any reason why you want to do this, at all? Aren't they pretty enough?

I remember there was one for XP, but for Vista, I do not know.

Haha I can live without changing those icons, but the MS Office 2003 icons are pretty ugly :p It's not a life or death situation lol. Thanks guys, for trying to help, I appreciate it :).

Rocki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom