Can't Boot Windows XP ... [Help!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

grime

Solid State Member
Let me start off by saying Hello to everyone, hope you all are having a great 07.
Alright let's get to it...

I'm running TWO Hard Drives...

80 GB [Master] - Windows XP(I forgot which one.) SP2 <--- PROBLEM
120 GB [Slave] - Windows XP Home Edition SP2 (I'm on this right now)

I can still access the Master drive from the Slave im using right now because I can see the drive when I go to My Computer

I woke up one morning, couldn't load into the Master drive.. It just keeps bringing me to the menu screen where I have the options to pick from Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Debugging or whatever, Last config, start windows normally etc.

when i press F8 (which is the button to bring up the menu above) THE SAME THING HAPPENS!

once I pick an option it just freezes and doesnt do anything.. causing me to have to restart the computer(IVE TRIED ALL THE OPTIONS)

I have tried inserting the Windows XP CD and pressing 'R' for the repair, It gets to the blue screen and says 'Examing files...' or whatever in the bottom left hand and then just reboots the computer and goes back to the safe options screen I mentioned above.

I have ran WinASO which is a program for registry optimizer, and that hasnt helped.

ive ran the chkdsk and that hasnt helped.

i think its something thats corrupted the boot files or something like that.

i dont know what to do at this point... help would be appreciated.. and I really do not feel like reformating the whole thing, because my documents and other files will be deleted and i have some important stuff on there!

respects!:angry:

EDIT:

you know when you select safe mode it brings up and loads all these program thingies, well this freezes when it gets to system.log

I'm thinking either something has messed up the boot sector or there is a mechanical problem with the hard drive itself. Try to google and download the ultimate boot cd, it's got lotsa diagnostics software, several of which check your disk for mechanical issues.
If you have to reformat you can just stick the drive in another computer and copy off all of the files you need. It's a pain but not a huge deal.

THANKS A LOT.. Ill look into that..

much respects goes out to you for attempting to help me :)

EDIT: i downloaded the ISO that i burned on a cd but i couldnt get it to open during startup

try to use the external harddisk backup your file first and then reformat your system.. i think this is the best way

Format is always a last resort.

Put your XP CD in again and go into the Recovery Console.

From there put in
fixboot
fixmbr
and see if those help.

That should fix your boot sector and your Master Boot Record.

^ It's just restarting the computer when it trys to access the recovery console...

If you cant access the Recovery Console and a Repair dont work. You dont have to many options left. Try Knoppix and get your files moved so you can format and re-install.

if you can boot to the slave... run a chkdsk on the master and select to automatically fix errors

I know your on Windows. Knoppix is a Live CD that will allow you to move and backup Data. that way you dont lose it when you go to reformat if you must. Unless you want to lose the data. that is fine also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom