Can't boot/device file?(help!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arghh!

Beta member
Hi, I've just been given an old pc. I think they recently had a problem with it & gave up. I've no idea if the problem relates to a recent change in software, a virus or what. I'm not even sure what the pc has yet, as I can't get it to boot up. (not too familiar with dos or safe mode)
I start it up, shortly after I get this message ..

"Cannot find device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application. The Windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device but the device file no longer exists. If you still want to use the application associated with that file, try re-installing the application"(followed by) "C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAP.VXD"

Then, I get to the wallpaper, cancel the (win98, I think) password and immediately get an illegal operation message ..
(details) "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module EXPLORER.EXE at 0177:00401f31" & I have to close down.

I have done some looking around & see a few posts with this very problem. I have tried what worked for someone, to restore to a previous date, while it successfully restored, I got the same thing after rebooting.

I see a bit of conflicting advice .. does anyone know what this might mean & if I can try sorting it in perhaps safe mode (as I can not get into windows). I don't mind getting rid of Norton, as I wouldn't be using it anyway. Maybe I need to just get rid of this device file, or look for a virus?? ..any info greatly appreciated!

I would suggest you to boot the safe mode... go to the registry editor and find and remove "C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAP.VXD" and then run a msconfig - try to clean boot the system... it should work...
If you don't care for whts in there... u can definately opt to reinstall the os

errors on your system

well i would say to format & start over. The first problem you mentioned is from your norton program, but the explorer problem would be something altogether different. By the time you did figure out what was up you could have a fresh install that you know is good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom