Can't boot from cd - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2005, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Can't boot from cd

I have Windows 2003 Server Ent. Edition. I did a complete zero writing to the two hard drives and went to reinstall the OS. One small problem got in my way; I can't boot to the 2k3 cd. Its not that the computer doesn't boot to the cd, because it does, I can load other disks, just not the 2k3 disk. I took a look and there is no boot file on the top level of the cd. The only files are "win51" "win51IA" "setup.exe" "readme.htm" and "autorun.inf". Anyone out there who can help me with this, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-30-2005, 07:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to b_young86 Send a message via Yahoo to b_young86

it sounds like it is an upgrade disk, not a OEM disk. If you have a bootable OS installer disc, install that OS, run it, then put in the server 2k3 disk in and choose new install instead of upgrade. Or go to

AMD Athlon 64 bit 3000+
1.25 Gigs 2700 DDR
460 Gigs Hard Drive
1 - 15.4\"Widescreen LCD
1 - 17\" LCD

HP iPAQ hw6515 with 1.5 Gigs of storage
Old 04-30-2005, 07:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Him Send a message via Yahoo to Him

No, no boot disk man, you are running XP.Go into the bios, and change the boot order. Make sure that CD ROM is before HDD. Also make sure to pay attention, as you will have to press a button to boot from a cd. You only have 10 seconds or so before it continues to load whats on the HDD.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I tried all that and still nothing. It reads from the CD for a few moments then just skips over it like it couldn't find any boot instructions. Does anyone’s CD look different? I have a Windows XP Pro CD that has basically the same files, no boot ones. I just tried that on 2 separate computers and I cannot boot from that CD either. If someone could send me any file that for some reason I don't have I could see if I could burn that file on with the CD to a second copy. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2005, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Blitze105 Send a message via Yahoo to Blitze105

hmm it tries to read off the cd? does it sound like the cd is spinning? if so it should say hit any button to boot from cd. if not... i think u can hit ?F10? and it will give u a boot list of where u can boot from pick cd and see what happens
I'm Forgetful! so if i stop posting on something that i was helping you with... PM me or IM me
yahoo and aol: blitze105
you can always IM or PM me if i offend you as well, i will edit the post if i have.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Try booting the PC with another startup disk like 98 for example. Boot with CD-ROM support and then navigate to the CD drive and try running setup from there.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

try to go into the startup bios before the xp screen, and choose boot from cd instead of HD.

Closed Thread