Can't activate my copy of XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I originally used the restore disc that came with my broken Systemax laptop. That version is XP Home.

During my last reformat, that disc would no longer load XP properly so I used the disc that came with my eMachines desktop PC. I just looked at System Properties and it says that I've got Windows XP Media Center Edition. Is that the reason that my product key that came with my Systemax (XP Home) won't work?

Another bit of information. This is actually the second time I've installed XP from the eMachines disc to the current laptop in question (Toshiba.) I got a virus right after that reformat and thats why I'm doing this again! I'm 99.999999% sure that I activated it then and it worked.

that's exactly why it won't work. media center is a certain kind of xp pro. you need to get a home disc.

If it says it can't be activated, you can call the activation line which is automated. I do that all the time (shh). Otherwise, your serial key is wrong..

Not only is the versions different, but simply put Microsoft is not going to activate it for you. The version that came with your old broken laptop is a OEM version which states right in the End User License Agreement that you agree to with Microsoft that OEM copies are not transferrable.

Meaning that in order for them to activate your copy of XP it would have to be a brand new bought copy. Not one that was previously installed on a old laptop. As those can not be transferred. Even using the proper disk with the proper serial there is no guarantee that Microsoft will activate it for this reason. It goes against their License Agreement.

OEM copies are not transferrable.

So, since my purchased XP oem is installed on 3 pc's and M$ gets the IP when activated. all running fine at this point. But if I have to replace one of the MB's , M$ will consider this a 4th install?

in theory yes. but if you explain the situation to them, they will activate it.

dannyual767 get an xp home disc and reinstall windows

It is stated right in the EULA of Windows. ;)

1 Serial = 1 PC. That is how it has been. OEM copies can not be removed or transferred from the machine they come with. That is part of the OEM License agreement. You agree to it once you start using Windows with that machine.

Retail is a bit different as you can transfer it. But you must meet strict requirements.

If you call with an OEM Copy on another machine, in theory, they should NOT activate it as it does go against the EULA of Windows to transfer that copy to another machine. You can't have the same serial used on more than 1 machine at any time.

These are the terms of use in the end user license agreement that you click F8 and agree to or check the box for to continue the install. These are the full legal terms. Anything other than these terms would be considered illegal and breaking the license agreement with Microsoft.

1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not be used by more than one processor at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.

13. SOFTWARE TRANSFER. Internal. You may move the Software to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must completely remove the Software from the former Workstation Computer. Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the Software may make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and Software to another end user, provided the initial user retains no copies of the Software. This transfer must include all of the Software (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the Software must agree to all the EULA terms.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/eula/home.mspx

The Retail EULA of XP. Vista and Win7 do not differ much from this EULA. I will find the XP OEM EULA to verify what i have in my post here.

But if memory serves me properly, which it usually does, XP OEM can be transferred, but you MUST REMOVE it first from any other PC. It can only be transferred twice. Vista and Win7 you can NOT transfer at all.

in theory yes. but if you explain the situation to them, they will activate it.

dannyual767 get an xp home disc and reinstall windows

Sorry for not getting back to this thread earlier. I was waiting for my son's copy of XP Home to arrive in the mail. It got here today and I just finished installing it and successfully activating it online :D !!!!

Like you guys said, the problem was that I was trying to activate XP Media edition instead of XP Home edition.

It is stated right in the EULA of Windows. ;)

But if memory serves me properly, which it usually does, XP OEM can be transferred, but you MUST REMOVE it first from any other PC. It can only be transferred twice. Vista and Win7 you can NOT transfer at all.

I'd say that XP is removed from my Systemax laptop because it is in the junk closet, completely dead, without a hard drive.

I'm happy that I'm back up and running again. You guys really know your stuff! Thanks.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom