Can't access windows XP recovery console

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHNAPPS

Baseband Member
I am trying to install Windows xp onto my compaq presario v2000 laptop, but when the recovery console appears, after booting from a windows xp cd, the computer immediately shuts down. I am currently running ubuntu on the harddrive, so the harddrive isn't broken. Does anybody have an idea what is going on here? Thanks in advance for the help.

why are you going to the recovery console anyway? Aren't you trying to install xp?
the recover console is generally for you to do stuff like scan the hdd.

rite :)
what's the hdd you've got formatted as?
Also, do you have a spare hdd you could replace your current one with, just to make sure this fault isn't somehow being caused by the hdd?

It is currently formated in the ext3 format. When I swap the presario with another harddrive with Windows xp installed in the NTFS format. The computer gives me a BSOD with the error 7B. When i attempt to boot from a windows install cd, it boots up and shuts down at the setup menu like before.

That is because XP needs at least 10GB of either RAW Data Space or NTFS formatted space in order for you to be able to get the hard drive recognized.

The 7B error you talk about show up in this thread:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-troubleshoot-specific-stop-errors-193301/

STOP 0x0000007B or INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Windows XP was unable to locate the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. This problem may occur after repartitioning disks, adding new disks, or upgrading a disk controller and its drivers. In that case, entries in the Boot.ini file no longer point to the correct partitions. If the error occurs after upgrading the disk controller, verify that the new hardware is configured properly. Then start your system with the Windows XP CD, log on to the Recovery Console, and use the Bootcfg command to scan for available Windows installations and repair the Boot.ini file automatically.
Which is pretty much what i am saying. Since there is no NTFS partition on the drive you are trying to install it to, there is no place for Windows to store even its boot information. Which is why you are getting issues.

You need to use GParted and shrink down the drive to give XP some room to install.

I used Gparted and formated the hd to NTFS, but still windows xp cuts out as soon as the setup menu appears. Any other ideas?

Are you still getting the 7B error? Are you getting a different error? What do you mean by "cuts out"?

I am not getting any error. As soon as windows xp setup menu appears, the computer immediately shuts off.

Are you sure it is not over heating? Have you checked all the power connections, make sure that the air flow is good? Has this CD been used before to install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom