Can't access owner folders/documents but other folders in master HD! Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Past experence, hard drives do not like hard sharp vibrations like the type generated when you hit a table with a hammer that the computer happens to be on.

alright. can you please tell me how do i fix it then because i don't quite understand what you mean by buggerd

Let me translate from British for you.

Buggered = something is wrong with it / broken.

You can give spinrite a shot.
GRC*|*SpinRite 5.0 to 6.0**

Can you hear any clicking sounds from the drive itself?

thats funny because if it is broken why does it still turn on and I can still access folders like "programs" and "windows" and "guest documents" but just not the owner/administrator folder. so does it still means that it is possibly still broken

I don't hear any click noises.

I agree that it is funny. Once you take ownership of the files you should be able to access them just fine.

Try to run the steps again just in case you missed something.
Perhaps a Linux boot disk may be in order for this situation.

thats funny because if it is broken why does it still turn on and I can still access folders like "programs" and "windows" and "guest documents" but just not the owner/administrator folder. so does it still means that it is possibly still broken

I don't hear any click noises.

While that is a common fault clicky drive is not a 100% sure fire test, you could have damadged a particular area of the drive, do you happen to have a copy of heirens boot CD knocking about the place?

An thank's for the translation hefe, I forget not every one understands english slang.

I agree that it is funny. Once you take ownership of the files you should be able to access them just fine.

Try to run the steps again just in case you missed something.
Perhaps a Linux boot disk may be in order for this situation.

well sorry to inform you so late but i already had full control of the folder. so i did not need do anything by changing security setting. so it must be something else

for the linux boot disk, can i boot the computer from an external cd-rom drive instead of internal cd-rom drive?

okay i tried live linux ubuntu version and was able to get into the folder and copy the files I needed! Now I have just one question waiting to be answered so please answer if you have answer to it:

I have a 160 GB seagate HD on external enclosure where i have already created 4 mounted partitions a long time ago (none of them has any OS) which all have datas already. therefore, how do I install Ubuntu OS on JUST ONE partition without erasing all the other partitions data. The installation method is still confusing to me because it looks like it is asking to me reformat all the partitions if i choose the entire disk 1st option and for 2nd option: specify partitions manually (advance) what should i do if i just want to have it installed on one partitions out of 4 partitions on my HD

You will have to format one of the partitions either using the built in partitioning tool that comes with Ubuntu or using GParted LiveCD.

It would be under the advanced options to choose which partition you want to format and install to.

You will have to format one of the partitions either using the built in partitioning tool that comes with Ubuntu or using GParted LiveCD.

It would be under the advanced options to choose which partition you want to format and install to.

since their is a risk of having your data erased, what i am doing now is installing it on a brand new HD. However, before i do that, can you please let me know how to create two different partitions in a HD where I can use one to install Ubuntu and the other for windows xp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom