Can't access My Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belveder

In Runtime
Could someone please help me out? All of a sudden when I try to access My Computer all I get is a folder icon and the searching pointer but nothing happens, no folders or files become visible.

I can access everything using Total Commander but can't save anything with Notepad or Word which I have icons for on the desktop. If I try to save, the save box appears but when I click on the drop down button to choose a folder or drive to save in nothing happens there either.

I am running XP Pro if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help

Oh, I have done a cleanup with Adaware and Search & Destroy

Hmm...doesn't sound good. I would try either a System Restore, or if worse comes to worse, to a repair of your XP installation. I have had this problem before and a System Restore works every time.

I had the same issue, but it hapened in the control pannel, all igot was the flash light.

Oddly enough, I ran a Defrag and scandisk and the issue went away.

also try a SFC /scannow (with the windows CD in the drive)

Yes, I got the problem recently .Found that there was some delay in loading some of the processes at startup. Sometimes DVD-ROMS/CD-ROMS also cause such problems...I had this issue once where removing my CD-ROM drive solved the same problem that you had.

Defragment should just do fine .Worst case, try to remove your CD/DVD drives and boot up.

Sign
Codes:)

had a PC with this problem recently, in the registry i had to delete a key a virus had put in that was robbing system resources through SVCHOST - took a while to find it exactly. a quick fix was to stop the SVCHOST process, then stop explorer process, then go into run and restart explorer. I then had control to get rid of the virus (also had to turn off system restore to get rid of it)

Thanks for everybodies help, figured it out in the end, I had just updated Outpost Firewall to a newer version. I uninstalled to check since that was the the only thing new that I had done and everything came back to me.

Put the older version back on and the computer works fine now.

Once again thatnkyou all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom