Cannot update windows.. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste
Default Cannot update windows..

I have four computers in my house currently.
Of the four, two of them were built by me.
The only one that Can update windows and doesn't return an error is a Dell thats about 4+ years old.
The three that cannot update windows are all using Windows XP Home OEM, they are all legal copies and I have been able to update them up until about a month or so ago.

I goto Internet explorer, then to tools then to windows update, I am asked to install some active X control, which I download, it copies, but when it tries to install I get this error on all three custum built computers.

Now, windows firewall is off on all computers. All computers are attached to a router.
Linksys BEFSR41, its firmware is updated and I have used that same router for 2.5 + years and never had a problem using windows update. I even tried connecting my labtop to my modem without the router, it returned the same error..

I have used Microsoft baseline Security analyzer to get the updates indirectly because of this problem. But I still want to solve this problem...

Two computers are running AVG.
Two computers are running Symantec 10 Corporate.
All computers have Spybot Search and Destroy, SpywareBlaster, adware SE Personnel.

Everything is updated and all computers are clean..

Any ideas?

Old 09-04-2007, 06:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to mssssee2 Send a message via Yahoo to mssssee2
Default Re: Cannot update windows..

How long is it since your last format if it is over a year, that's what I would suggest you to. A pc always needs a format or really good maintenance.

If it is less try cleaning up the registry there are always some invalid Active X referals that might make theese problems. Reinstall the programs that you need and get rid of those that you don't. Try to update your windows via FireFox with IE compartibillity tab. That's what I can currently think. Ah, also try unninstalling all the updates and download them again.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Also hurry up and get the latest edition of AutoPatcher before they are gone for good. That can help you for a while as well.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 09-04-2007, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

there is usually an error message sort of like a BSOD parameter in grey in the upper left corner...that might shed some light on your problem, couldnt really see it cause the picture was too small
Old 09-04-2007, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
I know things...

This worked for me when I couldn't update.

To resolve this behavior, re-register the Softpub.dll, Wintrust.dll, Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll, Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll files. To do so, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
3. At the command prompt, type regsvr32 softpub.dll, and then press ENTER.
4. Click OK when you receive the message that DllRegisterServer in Softpub.dll succeeded.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: Wintrust.dll, Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll, Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll.
6. Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Command Prompt.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

Sorry, I got the solution from another forum. Not that any of your suggestions were wrong or bad. I just read the other forum first.

The solution is this.

Spybot Search and destroys resident Tea Timer sometimes causes this error with windows update. Simply exit SD resident and then try to update.

It worked for me, after windows updates it should not have a problem with Spybot SD resident again..
Old 09-04-2007, 11:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

why does this error occur, do you know ?
Old 09-05-2007, 01:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

tea timer blocks hijacking registry changes. guess what MS does when you try to update?

if that wasn't the solution I would have told you to unblock flash killer in spyware blaster. don't install those programs until after you have updated

Closed Thread