Cannot run as Administrator in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

mofmtl

Beta member
Hello:

I have an Acer laptop running 32 bit Windows Vista.

I wanted to get rid of the annoying Window start up splash which gives you the option to sign in as an Administrator (renamed to Maciej) or a Guest/Other User account. To "accomplish" that I went to "Control Panel", "User Accounts" and selected "Turn User Account Control On or Off" thinking this would allow me to go directly to "Maciej" (the administrator account) on Windows start-up without having to chose the user again.

Well, it did just that! Unfortunatelly, Windows now logs me directly into the Guest User account and not "Maciej" as hoped.

Now I have no administrator rights to Windows, cannot change the modify the user accounts, cannot switch users as there no longer is "Maciej" visible, cannot run "msconfig" as I do not have administrator rights in this account and, best of all, am unable to start Windows in Safe Mode as one of the applications fails to load and only the Other User account pops up on the screen as a choice.

How do I get back to "Maciej" or the administrator account?

Thanks

You can't. You have no options and there is no way you force rights to the Guest account. So you will have to try a System Restore Point from the DVD. But i highly doubt that will work. After that fails you will only be left with the reinstall option.

Please check the Read First topic for Admin rights in Vista/Win7. As you dont have the full Admin account. It is jsut a power user account with some Admin rights. Vista is not like XP where the account created during startup is the full admin account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom