cannot reformat harddrive !

Status
Not open for further replies.

illnastyimpreza

In Runtime
ok I've got 11 GIGS used on my computer... and i have NOTING installed !

how do I get rid of it all ??

I tried reformatting but when I get to the "delete partition" option it says it cannot delete the partition because it has files that windows needs....

what can I do !

What kind of PC is it? Is it a prebuilt HP/Compaq or something similar to that? Most likely it's just the recovery partition, in which you need if you want to do a clean-install of windows.

its a gateway computer... everything is OEM exceot for the video car and ram...

how should I go about deleteing everything???

my harddrive is only 18.6gb :( and I need all that space to play Everquest 2

try this, make sure you have your system cd

start > run > cmd
type this FORMAT C:

ANd answer the questions.

wow.. three different threads, all on about the same topic, all within about 3.5 hrs made by the same person....

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/why-my-harddrive-full-there-nothing-installed-149093/

Look there, I have some more information about the problem there as well.

If its a gateway, then a recovery partition is defiantly a possibility. Call up gateway or look at your manual and see if it has one.

I don't suggest deleting it, because if you so, then it is possible that you won't be able to get it back.

Is your computer split in 2 partitions? for the 18 Gbs? or is it 1? Also, does the 18Gb come from C Drive properties, or the advertised space on the outside of the box?

Sure, you can format the system drive, not recommended though if you don't have an OS to put back on. Go through the steps that I posted in your other thread and see if that helps.

wow.. three different threads, all on about the same topic, all within about 3.5 hrs made by the same person....

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/why-my-harddrive-full-there-nothing-installed-149093/

Look there, I have some more information about the problem there as well.

If its a gateway, then a recovery partition is defiantly a possibility. Call up gateway or look at your manual and see if it has one.

I don't suggest deleting it, because if you so, then it is possible that you won't be able to get it back.

Is your computer split in 2 partitions? for the 18 Gbs? or is it 1? Also, does the 18Gb come from C Drive properties, or the advertised space on the outside of the box?

Sure, you can format the system drive, not recommended though if you don't have an OS to put back on. Go through the steps that I posted in your other thread and see if that helps.

ok ill check it out thanks...I free'ed up alot of crap goin through the files and just deleting temp files and user profiles(over 3 gigs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom