Cannot partition HDD with PM 8 correctly, HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrmints

Baseband Member
Okay here's the problem, I just downloaded FC 5 onto a DVD and have used osloader2000 to boot from the CD/DVD drive. So far I have been able to bring up the FC 5 instillation screen and have gotten up to partitioning. I am trying to make this a dual boot computer with my Windows XP pro, but I cannot seem to partition it correctly. I have been using Partition Magic 8 and have created partitions, but when the computer restarts the partition does not go through and I can neither view it during FC 5 instillation nor in Windows. Is there a proper way to partition using PM 8 or would it be easier to partition during the FC 5 instillation, and if so how? Please help, thanks

When you use PM8, after partitioning in XP, it will restart for you, you have to get back on XP and let it finish, then it will probably reboot you again, and still you need to let it get into XP and let it finish the last part. You know when the blue screen starts up?

Depending on your hard drive rather it's IDE or SCSI/SATA, it will show up looking differently. like hda1 or hda2, sda1, sda2.
hd means IDE disk
sd means SCSI/SATA disk
a means first IDE or SCSI/SATA disk
b means second IDE or SCSI/SATA disk
numbers mean the partition, any number after 5 is a logical partition, any number under 5 is a primary.

Then when you boot into FC5 installation, you need to know the correct size of the partition you created for the FC5, highlight and and click edit, convert it to either ext3 or reiser, mount the root directory / to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom